Chapter 2

After a slow-going school day, I chatted with Lindsay about a possible sleepover on Friday.

"Sorry, I can't come. I have soccer." She is a huge soccer star. Nearly every weekend Lindsay has practice or a game. The soccer schedule is cruel, to more than the player and coaches.

"That's a bummer. You're never available because of soccer."

"I try, okay? Soccer is life...with a y."

I rolled my eyes and promised I'd see her the next day... Friday.

As I walked, I spotted Zach and his friends talking on the grassy part of the tree-speckled entrance of our school. He was perfection. Perfection waved at me and my heart skipped a beat. Almost tripping over my feet, I attempted to wave back. I succeded, but barely. Zach laughed and waved back again.

Blushing, I continued walking, fiddling with the keychain on my purple and black plaid backpack. I was relived to see that Jason had found time to fix up my car and bring it to the parking lot at lunch. As I reached my white, beat up first car, I sighed and started to drive home. I was super excited when I got my license to drive. I'm still quite happy about it, but the excitement is a little bit less obvious.

Once I got home, I noticed something on the passenger seat as I was exiting my car. A note sat there, with my name on the front. My heart pounded wondering who it was from. Zach? Couldn't be. I ripped it from the seat and unfolded it.

'I know your little secret-- or at least it WAS a secret,' the note read, 'a secret... He may or may not know by tomorrow... Love, Penelope'

"Damn you, Penelope" I said. Penelope was that one girl every school has. The one who is that mean popular girl with a posse who are just wannabes. She's really cliché. Not hiding her cruelty from adults is the only thing that isn't cliché about her. Penelope's sass level is almost unbearably high. Even in front of her parents, she acts like she owns them. Luckily, they don't put up with it. One time I heard a rumor that her parents grounded her for two months from any salt for insulting her moms cooking. Harsh, but to the point.

What was I going to do about it? Nothing. There was absolutely no way to prevent this from happening, so why even try? He was going to find out sooner or later. I guessed it would just have to be sooner.