Chapter 7

Lin came over after school and we just talked. We talked about everything; from her blow up this afternoon, to Zach, to strange dreams.

When Lindsay finished telling me about a giant cookie stepping on her in her dream, my phone buzzed. "New message from: ♥♥♥Zach♥♥♥" my phone read.

'Hey.' He said

'Hi' I responded. And the conversation went as follows:

Z:What's happening?

M: Nothing much. You?

Z: Nothing much.

Z: So I was wondering if you wanted to maybe come to the mall with Penelope and me?

M: I would love to, but Penelope and I don't exactly get along...

Z: Well, she doesn't have to come, I just thought it might be a little less awkward with another person there.

M: Yeah. When?

Z: Tomorrow at four? We can stay till five and eat in the food court?

M: Sounds perfect! Meet you in the food court tomorrow!

Z: Sure! You can bring Lindsay if you want.

"Lindsay. Look at this! Look!"

I shoved my phone into her hand and made her read it.

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe it! Do you want me to come?"

"Um, well it would technically be a date if we go alone and do an activity and dinner, so..."

"Say no more! I won't come. I can't believe it."

'Lindsay doesn't want to come' I texted him.

The rest of the day, I was grinning ear to ear and squealed every few minutes.

For dinner, Lindsay was still over. My mom and Dad kept giving me suspicious looks. Once, my dad pointed at me, looking at Lindsay, mouthing the words 'Is she okay?' She burst out laughing, and took a bite of potatoes.

"Your daughter is fine. Zach--"

"Lindsay!" I yelped. I pulled a finger across my throat to tell her 'no, they don't know!', but it was too late.

"Who's Zach? What did he do?!" Dad snapped.

"Henry, calm down!" My mother demanded.

"A friend of mine named Zach, has politely asked me to come with him to the mall. And it's not a date because we are friends, and he's invited other people... that aren't coming..."

The last part I said very silently. My father, rather aggressively, took a bite of  his corn on the cob. Lindsay was just having a jolly old time, chuckling at my disposition.

"Well, that sounds fun." My mom said.

"Oh they'll have LOTS of fun!" Lindsay laughed hysterically. I glared at her.

Typical Lindsay.

"Dad, can you please put another chunk of steak on my plate, please?"

"Can you?" He said, snapping at me.

Woah! Easy, dad.

"Henry!" Mom called. "Enough, you guys. Act your age, not your shoe size. She can go somewhere with some friends and a guy, without it being a date, or double date, or whatever."

"Garbage. You aren't going." My father exclaimed.

"But Dad! Mom?!" I pleaded.

"Henry, she is going. You and I can go on a date too."

I was about to change the subject, when my mom asked what time I was going.

"Four till five-ish." I said as I finished the last bite of my steak.

"May Lindsay and I be excused?"

My mother nodded and I put our plates in the sink.

Lin ran upstairs and I followed.

"Hey, not cool Lin." I said

"It was hilarious!"

"I almost wasn't allowed to go!" I pointed out.

"I couldn't help it!" Lindsay giggled.

"Well, try harder." I said, feeling myself starting to smile.

"Yeah, okay, General Meghan."

We were both laughing hysterically at the end of the night. It was about ten o'clock when we decided we should get some sleep before my big date Wednesday. 

As soon as Lindsay left I felt really lonely.  Like I always do, I figured the fastest way to get to the next day, was to sleep through the day your living in.

I grabbed my phone and played flappy bird for a while, then went to bed. I pulled the sheets over my head, closed my eyes, and drifted off.