Chapter 18

He disgusted me. Thinking that just kissing me would make EVERYTHING alright... except it kind of did...a lot... I couldn't help it! I become a whole different person when he's around. (Not saying it's always a positive person.) I hated it. I hated that he made everything alright. It hated how he could kiss and make better. Okay, that's not entirely true either. I actually loved it. A lot.

"Zach," I uttered.

"Yes," he answered.

"How do you do it?" I asked. He looked confused. I felt a strong fire in my heart burning for him; for all of Zach Russle. I didn't know why I became weak around him. I didn't know why he made me feel so stomach-churningly desperate. There were a lot of things I didn't know.

"How do you make me feel so...so..."

"In love?" Zach suggested as he held me I. His strong arms. The word 'love' made me sink. I didn't want to admit it, but I had to. I was in love.

Oh man. I'm in love. No no no no! I can't be. I won't let myself be. No.

Yes! You're in fricking love! You're in love, love, love, love, LOVE!

My thoughts contradicted with themselves. My mind couldn't make itself up. I wasn't sure if being in love was bad or good. My mind said no, but my heart, oh my heart, said yes.
With a smile, I answered him.

"Yeah, that." He pulled me back in for another kiss.

I was in love.

• • • •

Zach told me about what happened with Penelope. The next week was like heaven. I'd realized how stupid I was for falling into Penelope's trap, and smart for falling right back into Zach again.

If only I hadn't stopped to talk to Aaron on the way from my impulsive running-away after I spotted Zach with Penelope.

I ran down the slippery sidewalk, and saw Aaron sitting on the curb.

"Meghan!" He beckoned me. I carefully jogged over to him. I could tell he was upset, even though he had his usual sly, player's smile on. His face was red, and eyes bloodshot.

"So how are-- what's wrong?" He asked more concerned than usual. This was an Aaron I had never seen before.

"Nothing. I just had some trouble with Zach. It's fine though. What about you? You look upset." I sniffed and wiped my tears from my cheeks, hoping they wouldn't freeze.

"It doesn't look like nothing. I got the same trouble as you. Penelope is being-- You know what? It doesn't matter. Sit." Aaron seemed to have automatically perked up. Suddenly, he changed moods entirely. "Trouble with Zach, you say?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Yeah, why?"

"Well," he closed his eyes. "I think we can solve that problem."

"And how's that?" I said, after shoving him back a little.

"I think you know." He pulled me even closer, and grabbed my back. I thought I was gonna throw up. "Oh, come on. It'll be fun. I know you want to." He crooned. I gagged and smacked his arm, then got up and ran away again. Note to self: never get close to Aaron when he's in a mood. Or just don't get close to Aaron ever.

When I got to school, I couldn't look Aaron in the eyes. I could look at him, period. But what's past was past, and I guess it would stay between us and our memories which were a little too clear for my liking.

I wondered, at one point, if it was planned. The whole Penelope kiss Zach, Aaron kiss me. Maybe it was coincidence, maybe they're just kindred spirits, or they're both out to get us. I didn't know, and I wasn't about to want to.