Chapter 12

A/N: And here's a chapter that isn't as short as the last few ;)

• • • •

"Hey," I said with a huge grin.

Zach returned my smile and greeting.

"How are you?" Wow. Way to be original, Meg.

We were standing in the lobby of the movie theater, pre-entry.

"Good! So, I've decided something."

I was puzzled. Raising my eyebrows, I said, "Oh?" Not knowing what to say.

"I was thinking we could go to that forest down the road and have a picnic." He scratched the back of his head with such hotness, I thought I might die.

There's a forest down the road?

Sure, it was cute of him, but I was not prepared. He can't just go around changing plans. I decided to over look it, and smile at the fact that he had prepared a cute picnic. But I wasn't even in proper attire to go all rural and woodsy.

"So, to the forest?" I asked. Smiling, he replied "To the forest." His smile was so beautiful. It could easily light up the whole town. His smile was one thing that could make me just melt.

I hopped into his silver car, which smelled very delicious on the inside, by the way. I, Meghan Neally, was in an enclosed space with Zach Russle.

I don't think I have ever been to the forest. I realized. But I've lived here for a long time... How could I not notice that there was a forest here? Confused as I was, I didn't want to ruin the moment, so I stayed quiet.

The ride was fairly short. Our drive wasn't very woods-y at all, actually. We traveled down urban streets, and I could tell there wouldn't be any gravel roads anytime soon. However, I was most confused when we pulled into his driveway.

"I forgot my picnic basket inside," he explained, breaking the short silence. "Wanna come with me inside? You can see my room and stuff, meet my parents." I didn't think that I was ready to meet his parents. Nor was I in the mood to see his room. I just wanted to go into the forest and have a nice meal. No pit stops.

"No, I'm good. I can just stay in here."

"You should come!" He said demandingly. "Uh-I mean-I think you should come... I--I think you should come." Giving him a suspicious smile, I exited Zach's Chevy and walked into his home.

"Hello? Zach! Oh, is this that girl you've been talking about? The one with the eyes, and the hair, and--"

"Mom! Stop, you're embarrassing me!"

I chuckled.

"Zach talks about me?" I asked humbly.

"Oh, all the time! What's your name again, sweetheart?" Zach glared at his mom. He looked so cute when he's mad.

"Um, Meghan. Meghan Neally." I reached out to shake her hand. She surprised me by awkwardly hugging me instead, telling me to call her Debby. I nodded, and Zach summoned me to come upstairs.

He opened the door, and I saw the cutest thing. His whole room was covered in green wallpaper, camo blankets, and branches--which were most likely from his backyard's large tree that I spotted out his window. There, in the corner of his room, was a large pile of jade coloured pillows. Camo, patterned and plain. Held up with some staples, a draped green sheet over the corner, as if it would provide shade. It was all so sweet. When I looked up at him from the side, he wore a humble smile that was kind of crooked, but cute all the same.