Chapter Two: Realizations

A/N: Yes the header photo is from Evangelion. Yes, I know this is an MHA story. But the photo compliments this chapter nicely.

I wake up more tired than I was when I fell asleep. One look at my phone is enough to scare life into my dead-tired soul.

       Missed Call- Uncle Ai (12)

"I'm fucked." Those words are the epitome of my life force. I forgot to call him yesterday.

"Y/N," All Might's voice carries through the closed door. "If you're awake could you please come out here?" The way he speaks is full of caution.

I open the door just enough for one of my eyes to peer out. I'm so fucked. I repeat like a mantra in my head the moment I see the object the emaciated blond holds in his hand.

I try my best to close the door, but the toe of his shoe doesn't give even the smallest indication of moving. Like a child, I hide my hands behind my back and suck both my top and bottom lips between my teeth. I can't talk without lips or use a phone without hands.

       Check.

"Oh no you don't," All Might whispers harshly before putting the phone to my ear. His expression says checkmate.

"Hi, Uncle Ai," I say in my highest pitched voice.

"You're not getting off the hook that easy, Y/N," there's venom in his monotone today. "You were supposed to call me."

"I know," I drop my facade. I can hear the worry in his voice. I'm a such a brat. I take the phone and walk to the front porch. "I was overwhelmed and by the time I had a chance to I was so tired." I'm so pathetic, making excuses.

A hefty sigh comes from his end of the phone. "Toshinori told me. I'm just glad you made it to UA safely. I couldn't stop thinking about..." He clears his throat, derailing his own train of thought. "How was your flight?"

My chest tightens. Normally my uncle would be dishing out a punishment right about now. I mean, I know about how he expelled an entire class once, he bragged about it—to an extent. How could I be so selfish and careless not to check in with him? My throat follows suit of my chest. Suddenly, I can't say anything and even my breathing becomes labored.

"Y/N?"

I want to tell him about how I fell asleep on the plane but had that sensation that I was falling and ended up throwing my phone across the aisle.

"Y/N?"

I want to tell him about Uncle Mic and the luggage carousel.

"Y/N!"

I want to tell him how hard it was not to pet the principal.

"Y/N! Are you okay? Y/N! Answer me!" The faint sounds of people in the background evaporate while the volume and urgency in my uncle's voice boils over.

"I'm... sorry," I manage to choke out. I can't hold it back anymore. I fall onto my side and drag my knees up to my chest. Loud sobs mixed with desperate gasps for air scratch my vocal cords.

Memories of that night come rushing back.

       I had been invited to a party at my friend Michael's house. My parents didn't like him. He was quirkless and had no ambitions. He smoked and drank and was determined to coast through life with minimal effort. They especially didn't like the messages he would send me.

I thought they had already left for patrol duty. I walked downstairs in my F/C crop top and high waisted shorts. My parents took one look at me and all hell broke loose.