8 • Lazy Days

Third Person Point of View

Alex sat in the middle of the floor of her apartment. She had her guitar in her lap and there was paper surrounding her in a circle. However, scruchend up balls of failed sheets and ripped up pieces were thrown in various places around the room.

This was how Alex had been spending most of her free days lately: trying to write songs. After releasing Voices, the label wanted them to start working on an album. They had gotten a lot of attention from their single and management thought it would be best to take advantage of it and build off of it.

Alex was excited about it, but she also felt the pressure of it getting to her. She wanted to get it done for the deadline, however, she wanted to stay true to herself and write songs that she loved and that carried a message.

She hummed different tunes while strumming various chords on her guitar, stopping every so often to scribble down lyrics or notes. For some reason, she couldn't seem to stay consistent. She would think of something that she liked, but then suddenly she would be working on something completely different.

"Hey!" London exclaimed, bursting through the front door without warning, as usual. "In here" Alex yelled back, not tearing her gaze away from the page in front of her. She continued to strum random chords as London made her way towards the room.

"What are y- oh my God" London said, stopping in her tracks and cutting herself off. She gazed around the room in amazement before carefully manoeuvring around the sheets of paper to sit in an open space on the floor across from Alex.

"So this is what the whole song writing process looks like" London observed, mostly to herself. Alex was always the one that wrote the songs for their band. It's not that London or Jackson weren't able to, they just preferred the sound and originality Alex was able to create. They still helped with parts that Alex struggled with.

"I don't know what's wrong with me today, I can't just focus on one song. I have pieces of about five songs right now" Alex complained. She groaned and fell backwards onto the floor, letting her pen fall out of her hand.

"Play me something" London demanded, shrugging her shoulders. Alex sat back up and looked at the girl in front of her. "Which one?" she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

London smiled sympathetically at the girl and began sorting through the pages in front of her. She eventually settled on one after reading through it and smiling. She handed the sheet to Alex, not saying anything but implying that she wanted her to play it.

Alex looked at the paper and smiled. It was one of her favourites out of what what had written. Despite the fact that it was only a few lines, it was still the most she had written that day.

"It's only the chorus of a song" Alex explained, not wanting to get London's hopes up. London simply nodded in understanding. Alex took a deep breath, preparing herself for the worst, And began strumming the chords she had written.

"We got too big for the cage you locked us up in
Let's mark this down as the day that we started something
So open the gate, open the gate
Cause when we finally escape, finally escape
We'll be tearing through the streets
Running with the wild things"

Alex opened her eyes, returning to the world of reality once again. London was smiling widely at her, causing her to blush. "That was amazing, I love it!" London exclaimed, clapping her hands together. Alex's face lit up at this.

"Really, I wasn't sure about the chord progression or how-" Alex began, rambling on about all of her second guessing, but London cut her off. "It's perfect, stop worrying. Now can you please take a break so we can hang out and talk?" London whined.

Alex hesitated, prepared to protest and come up with excuses but London beat her to it. "Yay, let's go live" she blurted, knowing Alex would never pass up the opportunity to talk with the fans.

"Ugh, fine. Just let me clean all of this up" Alex caved in. She stood up and began picking up pieces of paper and sorting them. London had stood up as well and sat back down on the couch, starting the live. Alex hummed what she had sang earlier as she cleaned absentmindedly.

When she finished, Alex fell onto the couch next to London and waved at the camera. "Hey guys" she said. More and more people began to join and comments came flooding in. A lot of them were about the guys from Why Don't We or Jalex.

"What was Alex humming? Oh, she was writing songs a while ago. You guys might get something in the future" London said, reading out a comment while winking at the camera. Alex lightly punched her, warning her not to reveal too much.

"You're the Queen of Just Dance. I know right? I'm the best" Alex said confidently as she jokingly flipped her hair over her shoulder. Of course, this caused an avalanche of Jalex comments to flow in. Everyone was talking about how they had to walk in a circle while staring into each other's eyes or the ending pose.

"Oh hey, Jack's here" London commented, looking over at Alex and smirking. Alex rolled her eyes but read out his comment anyway. "I still think I'm better. No way Avery, I won fair and square" she laughed, pointing an accusatory finger at the camera.

"I demand a rematch. Fine. Any time, any place. I'll still beat you" Alex continued, smirking now. London rolled her eyes but smiled at her best friend. "You guys are idiots" she laughed, shaking her head.

After a while longer of reading comments and talking with the fans, Alex noticed it was getting late. "Sorry guys, we should get going" she said sadly, not wanting the livestream to end. "We love you though!" London exclaimed, smiling widely at the camera.

"Bye guys" Alex said, waving at the camera. She then began to reach towards the "end live" button, but London managed to shout something before it finished. "Jalex is OTP!"

Once the livestream had been ended, Alex instantly tackled London. "Why the hell did you do that?" she asked, clearly frustrated. London simply laughed and shrugged at the girl. "Because you guys would be cute" she explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Jack was there! He's gonna think I like him, when I don't, and then he'll end up hating me" Alex rambled. London put her two hands on Alex's shoulders to make her stop. "I told you to stop worrying. Besides, Jalex is cute" she remarked. Alex groaned, knowing she would never hear the end of Jalex.