Chapter Sixteen: Back in the day

Back to high school:

"Class dismissed!" The awkward teacher exclaimed very awkwardly with a sigh of relief.

Well that was awkward..

I picked up my books and stuffed them in my worn out backpack. I tugged my blazer a little over my blue tartan (plaid) school skirt and started to walk into the hallway. I started to put my books in my locker where I kept things like notepads filled with lyrics, sketchbooks, all that crap.

"Jesus! Where the fuck have you been?!" My adorable best friend asked me. My head snapped up in surprise and I banged my head on the top of the inside of the locker. I let out a hiss of pain while he made cute deep but squeaky noises- his laugh.

"Mr. Lilo's class. Damn, I got bored without you. And don't you dare ever creep up on me you adorable lil shit, you," he giggled and pinched my cheeks. "Get off! No!" We laughed and he released my cheeks. He straightened his black tie (that was included in the uniform) and held out a hand for me to take. "Thanks," I blushed. He did his side smirk and dragged me down the hallways to a corridor I was so familiar with. "We're skipping last period, right?" I asked. He snorted and nodded while looking at me as if I was crazy. "Of course we are! Just don't get me in trouble with your brother.mHe somehow hates my guts," He got out a key he had cut secretly and unlocked the music cupboard. "You've got the stuff, right?" I nodded.

We entered the cupboard (which is actually like a small room) and carefully tiptoed over to the blanket Frank had prepared. "Got the Jaffa Cakes, Diet coke like you insisted... Cheese sandwich for me, ham and lettuce for you,"

"I have bubble gum flavoured chewing gum,"

He laughed to himself. "Why would you buy bubble gum flavoured chewing gum? That's ridiculous!" I scoffed and pulled the pack of gum towards me protectively. "I just so happen to love this gum!" he cracked open a can of diet coke hesitantly as if it was poison. "And you just so happen to be Vanessa: the unpredictable, talented and magical fro!" He fluffed my hair and I scowled at him. "Do you know how hard it is to get these messy curls tamed? A long time!" He laughed in response.

I shuffled beside the blanket carefully so I didn't push over any instruments and make it obvious were ditching the last period in here. I took out the stuff from my backpack and smiled. "So why did you insist on the 'diet' coke?" He sipped the can carefully and after a split second his grin shot up. "Oh this is actually pretty good!" He laughed. I rolled my eyes at him and picked up my ham and lettuce sandwich, thanking Frank.

"Because.... Diet coke is way better than the normal shitty coke," I laughed.

Frank pouted which made me giggle. He's always been immature. I don't think he'll ever grow out of it to be honest. "I have to admit it is pretty awesome," I grinned while he downed the rest of his can. "It's way better than the sugary stuff... Damn, I need to fill my fridge with these,"

We joked about for a while and we ate most of the chocolate. We ate the skittles (more like Frank..) and shared all of the diet coke. My phone started ringing loudly- playing 'Flash' by queen. "Flash?" Frank doubled over with laughter. I mouthed for him to shut up and I pressed the green button.

"Hello?"

"Vanessa, I told you not to skip anymore! And you're with Frank aren't you?" I heard my brother yell down the phone.

"Ray, chill it's oka-"

"Nessa, you know full and well skipping isn't good, you want to get into a good college don't you? Stop skipping with that arse!"

"Frank is not an arse, Ray, he is actually my best friend and you know that. As soon as I actually get a friend you have to treat them like a dick. Stop."