Chapter 22

**RECAP**
     I watched as the floating person disappeared. "Gotcha!!"
**END OF RECAP**
     What startled me the most was when the person grabbed my leg and pulled me back. I looked behind me to see Captain America dragging me backward. In the backround I could see Thor watching the scene that was unfolding. But he looked sad. He looked horrified. But he watched without moving an inch. Even though it looked like it was killing him on the inside.
     "End of the line, Layla!!" Steve sneered. I'm never one to be afraid of what is going to happen, but what was happening at the moment terrified me. I felt like a little girl calling for help in the middle of the forest, but with no one around to hear me.
     My fingers scrapped the tiled floor in front of me. I watched as images of a life I never knew I had flash before my eyes. Only the images were of just me-- alone, to be exact. Captain America stopped pulling me. I looked behind me to see him staring at something. That's when I saw Peggy.
     She was her young self. She was an illusion, though. I could tell because of the green aura emmiting from her. I scrambled a few feet away to watch from a safe distance.
     She reached out her hand and placed it on Steve's cheek. She held a small smile. Her eyes never left his own. But as the scene played on, her green aura disappeared and she became more real.
     She disappeared. Gone. In a heartbeat any signs of her being there were gone. Steve screamed. He cried. He searched frantically for her. His blue eyes were filled with tears as he looked for her. His eyes caught mine.
    "You. Did. This!!" He angrily shouted as he sprinted after me. What??? No, I didn't!! What is he talking about?? Is he stupid? I watched in horror as he chased after me while I scouted away. He just grabbed my arm when Thor came and yanked him off of me.
     "GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF MY NEICE!!!! NOW!!!" He said as he threw Captain America across the room. Neice? How-- No...........It can't be......It couldn't.........Could it? Why? Captain America put a huge dent in the wall.
     Thor picked me up and sprinted down the hall. Well, actually, more like flew down the hall. He placed me down when we got outside the building.
     "Go, now!! While you still can. Layla, know that I love you. Even if your father doesn't" He mumbled the last part and pushed me away. "Now go!!"
     "How am I your neice?"
     "No time for questions!! If you stay, you don't want to know what the Captain will do to you-- let alone me." I took that as my que to leave and sprinted into the busy streets of Manhatten.

Third Person POV
    The streets of Manhatten were crowded, obviously. How can there be so many people cramped in one city? There are 50 states alone in the United States of America. Let alone, cities!! Layla thought as she pushed and shoved her way through people. Her heart pounded she saw the black haired man. But this time there was no green aura around him. She silently followed him. He turned a corner into a dark alley way. She turned the corner and didn't see him there.
     "Looking for someone?" Someone whispered in her ear. She spun around and hit the person in the nose. But her hand went through. She retracted her hand quickly and watched as the black haired man "poofed" into little green specks. She then saw him enter a small park across the street. She sprinted across and tip-toed her way around.
     "Going somewhere?" A voice echoed in her head. It wasn't aloud for the whole world to hear, only for her. His voice soon turned to ringing and she clutched her ears as she sank to the ground.
     "Make it stop." She kept mumbling. Too in pain to make it more audible to anyone farther than a five inch radius. A few feet away, on a bench, sat Liam. He hated seeing her like this. He hated just sitting there and watching this unfold. He watched as the streams of tears poured down her face. His own face contorted into one of pity. Of sympathy.
      Her nightmares were terrible. They were worse than when she was recovering from her last brainwashing. His heart ached for her, even though he knew that he could never comfort her. Even though he loved her. He wouldn't admit it to himslef, though, and she didn't even know what love was at the moment.
     The ringing wouldn't stop. Instead, it got louder and more painful. Her eyes were clamped shut as she tried to endure the pain. If anything, it felt like the HYDRA treatment that she got often.
     She stumbled to her feet and opened her eyes. Even though she opened them, she couldn't see because of the tears blocking her view. It hurts so badly!! She screamed inside her head as she bit her bottom lip. The force of her teeth drew blood, but she didn't mind. It made the ringing not hurt as much. That's what she thought until the pain intensified much more, and she fell to the ground. She fell on her knees. She wobbled back and forth, threatening to fall over at any moment, and she didn't even care.
     He couldn't watch anymore. He turned his head away and put in his sound blocking earbuds. He played the music loudly to block out any sound that he might hear. But sound protection didin't stop all his senses and he knew that because the second she hit the ground shock waves flowed everywhere. And he felt it. He felt the electricity start from his feet and travel through his body to his head in half a second. His head snapped in her direction to see her laying down with her back to the ground and her knees still under her.
     He ran to her and picked her up. "I'm sure that was not a comfortable postion, huh?" He asked the unconsious Layla. He held her bridle style as he walked ot his car. He placed her in the back seat with his jacket laying overtop of her. Then again, it was the beginging of December.
     Her dreams were filled with tourment as she watched a mysterious figure ask her young self how her day was. But she couldn't make out the voice. It was like her brain had altered the voices of her dream characters because it didn't know who they were.
     Thor watched as his neice ran through the woods. How could she not know who she was? If HYDRA brainwashed her again, that meant that he really needed to get moving to save her. How? He wasn't sure just yet. But he knew he would. Even if it cost him his life.