Chapter 31

Layla's POV
(Three months later)
I watched, from my bedroom window, as the sun set in front of me. I watched as it fell behind the tall trees in front of it. "I'm sorry Adam." I whispered to myself as a tear slipped past my defenses.
My head snapped in the direction of my door as I heard an explosion. I threw open my door and ran down the halls. I looked around and saw that the majority of HYDRA was laying dead in front of the entrance. I scanned the room around me and saw a metal hand and red cape round a corner. Thor and the Winter Soldier. I sprinted after them. I easily caught up to them. Running in front of them I stopped and turned around to face them.
"We were looking for you!!" The Winter Soldier shouted. Then Pietro appeared next to Thor.
"And you found me." I replied bluntly as I looked them all up and down. "Could've been a little discreet, don't you think?" I stated with hand motions. My hands were yanked behind my back as handcuffs were placed onto my wrists. I nodded with a frown. "I get it. You only came here to take me away. Like usual." I barely whispered as a S.H.I.E.L.D agent took me away. I walked to the exit realizing I hadn't seen Liam. I quickly glance behind me and see that Liam was the agent pushing me to the exit.
     "No." I whispered as I began to struggle. "I trusted you!" I shouted at him with out looking at him. He didn't look at me. He looked just as upset as I was.
     "I'm sorry. Just know, I did love you." He whispered. Did? What is that supposed to mean?
     Tears started to fall. "Why did you betray me?! I thought you were—I-I." I stuttered out trying to think of words to say. I looked around me at all the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D agents watching me. Amongst them was a smirking Loki. I blinked and he was gone. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. "You didn't see him, did you?" I asked in a whisper.
"Who?" I shuddered as I realized Loki was pushing me in the direction of the exit. I looked up at him.
Why? I thought. Why what? He responded. Why did you do it? Why did you have to hurt me? I knew why. Because you're his daughter. I could sense the hatred in his voice. That's the only reason? I frowned. Yes. I figured so. I struggled as he pushed me forward. No words were spoken.
***************************************************
     They put me in a cell. Figures. I wasn't expecting to be treated with luxury. How could I? Unless I was Loki, I guess.
*knock* *knock*
     I looked at the cell door and saw Bucky walk in. "Hi........." I muttered.
     "Why did you work for them?" I sat on the floor across from him in my attire from HYDRA. I chuckled at his simple question.
     "Maybe it was 'cuz I already knew HYDRA was filled with bad people who knew what they were doing was wrong and I didn't want to suffer the same treatment from people who say they are the 'good guys'." I explained myself. He looked shocked. Like he didn't think S.H.I.E.L.D was really that bad.
     "Seriously?!" His mouth stood agape. I only nodded while looking away at the people outside the glass walls. I smiled a sad smile. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

Third Person View
     So this is how it ends. With a girl whose heart was broken multiple times by multiple different people.
     The first time consisted of her father (Loki) leaving her. She hoped for him to come back. Now she knew better. She knew he would never come back for her.
     The second time was when she found friends that she thought would last forever. They hadn't. They left her on her own, to never have the hope of friends again.
     The third was when she finally found a love. She was certain that he would love her back. But he didn't. Instead, he broke her heart into a thousand pieces. Then he came back and gave her false hope, finally ending with giving her over to people she could never trust or ever hope to trust.
     The fourth was when she found her best friend. She was so happy and content, but he left her. He died right in front of her eyes and she couldn't do anything about it.
     The fifth, when she found out the reason her father could never truly love her. The reason he didn't care if she were lost in the sea of infinite galaxies.
     And, finally, when she realized her real father could never ever protect her. Even though he swore to. What broke her heart was the fact that she wasn't surprised he couldn't protect her. She wanted so bad to have that hope of redemption. But she knew better, and she hated herself for that.
     We see, now, that not all endings are happily ever afters. That, no matter how hard Layla tried, she could never find her happy ending. She could watch the happy endings of others, but she could never see her own in anyone.
     Maybe this is for the best? Maybe crying myself to sleep for the rest of my life is better for the whole world. So they don't have to worry about the killing-machine that was slowly picking everyone with power off one by one.
          Not everyone has a happy ending.
                       Remember that.......