chapter six

"Luke, Hayden's passed out on the couch," Calum said, as he walked into the room with an apple in hand.

"Seriously? That girl has some issues." Luke expressed while plopping himself down onto the spare bed next to Calum's new bed.

"Dude, stop being so rude to Hayden. She thinks you're an ass, and I tried to explain to her that you're a good guy deep down so please don't make me look like an idiot in front of my best friend."

"She's a bitch, I can't help it."

Calum leaped up and pushed Luke's back against the bed with his fist. "I swear to god if you ever call her a bitch again, Hemmings, you're dead."

"What's so bad about calling her a bitch? Since when did you become a softie?"

"She's gone through a lot of shit lately, and she's trying her best to keep her brothers and sister happy. So don't go calling her a bitch when she's one of the most generous people I've ever met."

Luke grinned up at Calum. "Stop fucking smirking, you douchebag."

Luke didn't wipe the grin off of his face at all. Instead, he just spoke, "You definitely have feelings for her, I can just tell." Luke swatted Calum's hand off his chest and sat up. "And dude," He said as he started to walk out of the room. "You haven't seen me in nine years. You don't know anything about me anymore and the shit I have to go through, so fuck off and be glad I'm giving you a home to live in."

Luke walked downstairs to the kitchen where Hayden was sitting, enjoying a bowl of cereal. She immediately eyed Luke and said, "I'll go,"

"Yeah, you should go." Luke said.

He immediately regretted it and was internally beating himself up over it. "Fuck, Hayden, I didn't mean it like that."

She turned around and gave him a look that said 'are you fucking kidding me'.

"Well you said it, so you obviously meant it. It will just be best if I go."

Hayden took her bowl of cereal up the stairs and out of Luke' sight.

Fuck, he thought. He doesn't want Hayden to hate him, but he can't help but be an asshole to her. Hayden is Luke's housemate. It would be best if he didn't hate her. It doesn't help that Luke's just a natural asshole. Why couldn't he be more like Calum? Calum was a genuine guy who was nice to everyone. Luke couldn't even be nice to his best friends.

While he was deep in thought over Hayden, she comes back into the kitchen with her bowl of cereal and everything. "You never showed me which room was mine." She said timidly, trying to speak the least she could to Luke.

"It's the first one on the right. It's just one straight hallway you can't miss it."

"I checked that room, because the door was open. Regan and Jackson are in that room."

"Did you check the other room on the right?"

"Calum's room."

"Well, the only other rooms are my mom and dad's room and mine, so if you want to crash on the couch tonight, I guess that's your only option until we get this situated tomorrow when everyone else is awake."

"Alright, sounds good." Hayden said. She walked into the family room, which wasn't far from the kitchen, and layed on the couch. She took the blanket from the chair next to it, and set it over her as she began to doze back to sleep.

Luke's conscious told him this was wrong, and that for once, he should do something nice. "Hayden? You still awake?"

"Yeah"