chapter twenty

The motel room was surprisingly cosy despite the premeditaded ideas of what a motel should be. It was clean, the beds were comfy, and the sheets were soft as could be.

Hayden was relaxing in the shower, which was also very clean, and Luke was still sleeping. Their hungovers got the best of them.

Something came over Luke last night. He didn't want to have to think about or remember anything that was going on. He just wanted to forget and have fun.

A small knock interrupted Hayden's time in the shower. "Andy?"

"Yeah?" She responded, reassuring him that she was listening.

"There's a restaurant in the same lot as the motel, wanna go to lunch?" He asked.

"Sure, let me just finish up in here and then we can go." Hayden shouted through the door.

Luke meandered around the room for a little trying to figure out what to do until Hayden was ready to go. He stopped in his tracks and eyed Hayden's phone on the bed side table. Should I? He thought. He just wanted to know what she was saying about him. He felt as if Hayden had almost no secrets to hide, or so he thought. Hayden probably texted with Abby about him one time or another. He just wanted to know what she thought of him.

He reached for the phone, and slid it open. He was almost relieved when the passcode screen came up, stopping him from snooping. He set the phone down and turned around to wet Hayden, dripping on the carpet in her towel. "I don't want to know what you were doing that made you jump so much when you saw me, but could you please go into the bathroom for like two minutes so I can change?"

"But I'm your boyfriend, can't I just watch?" He smirked and Hayden proceeded to shoo him into the bathroom, laughing along with him.

A few changes and a walk later, Hayden and Luke were situated at a nice small restaurant on the same lot as the motel. "What are you thinking about?" He asked.

"I think the chicken sandwich looks good, what about you?" Hayden replied with her eyes still locked on the menu.

"No, not what you're ordering. Your facial expression doesn't exactly relieve me in any way. What's on your mind?" He asked. Hayden looked almost uneasy to him and he wanted to know what her problem was but most of all, if she was alright.

"I don't know, Luke. Everything's just so complicated and confusing right now. I don't know where I stand with Calum, I don't really know where I stand with you, and I don't know what I'm doing in this strange motel running away from my family and friends just by your orders!" Her voice was raised much higher than Luke would have liked.

"Hayden, calm down. Can you let me explain a little?"

She crossed her arms and waited for him to begin talking. "Calum slept with Cassie. I got really mad, obviously, and didn't want you near him at all. He wasn't leaving or going anywhere so I took you with me. He's obviously mad at you for telling me and mad at me for meddling, so that's that."

"And what about us? We had problems you said we'd resolve but instead we made out and got drunk! Are you trying to just run away from your problems because that's not how it works, Hemmings. Explain to me right now why you left."

"I told you, I didn't want Calum near-"

"No, why you left me alone crying in my kitchen for an entire day. I have no tears left, Luke!"

He clutched his hands together and took a deep breath before beginning. "You always said that you didn't like Calum any more than a friend. A kiss is one thing, a lot of friends kiss once in a while but you did more than kiss and you still haven't exactly verified what you did or apologized for it. So, that's why I left. I find out my girlfriend lied to me about kissing my friend What would you do about it if that happened to you?"