chapter nineteen

"I don't know what to do. My two best friends are gone." The tears had slightly subsided from Hayden's face as she finally faced the reality. Calum and Luke left her. She had no idea where they went and she had no idea when they would be back. For now, she was stuck at Luke's house with her brother, his best friends, and Luke's mom.

"They'll be back, I promise." Abby reassured me.

Hunter and Matt were in the basement playing a video game, leaving Hayden to vent to Abby. The two of them had a friendship that had been rapidly growing since the first day they met. Whenever Hayden wasn't with Luke, she was with Abby. And since Luke was gone now, she was spending all of her time with Abby.

The sun began to set, only reminding Hayden of how long her friends had been gone. Calum was supposed to go out for his birthday tonight, but who knows if that was still going on.

Hayden contemplated. "Should I text one of them? They're both really mad at me and to be honest, I don't know how they will react."

"It might be better to just leave them alone. Considering the way Calum reacted today, you might not want to text him." She pulled her laptop out of her backpack and propped it up in front of her. "Luke cares about you a lot, though, so maybe you should text him." After answering Hayden's question, Abby became very interested in her computer.

Hayden pulled out her phone and opened up the messages. She clicked New Message and began typing. Luke, I know you're really mad and I just want you to know that I'm extremely sorry and I want you to come home. Please. She quickly erased the please and added I Miss You in place of it.

She sighed, having regrets on whether she wanted to send it or not. "Ab." She said, handing her phone to Abby to check over. She nodded and Hayden anxiously clicked send.

"For some reason, I feel like I need to end it with I Love You but I know I don't mean it yet. It just seems like the right thing to say."

"If you don't love him, don't say it." Abby said.

"It's not that I don't love him, it's just that I don't know for sure that I love him yet. It's only been a month we've been official and we've only known each other for like four months. Is it too soon?"

"If you're contemplating it, it's too soon." She assured me. "You would know when it was the right time when you felt it. You can't just decide when the right time to love him is."

"But I do love him. I love him for everything he's done for me and my family."

"That's a different kind of love."

Hayden contemplated what Abby had to say. She scanned the room in deep thought while Abby continued on her computer. "I don't love him." Hayden said. "Yet."

"But do you think you will?" Abby asked.

"I think I will." Abby smiled and Hayden continued. "So, your love life, how's that going?"

A giggle came from Abby's lips. "What do you mean my love life?"

"I can see it from that smile on your face. How's Michael?" Hayden asked.

"He's so sweet, Hay. I love talking to him."

"Have you gone on any dates yet?"

"He took me out to a diner but I don't think it was an actual date. Just two friends going to eat, you know?"

"But he likes you." Abby nodded. "And you like him." She nodded once again. "So how is that two friends going to eat?" Hayden asked.

"I haven't exactly told him that I like him. I think he knows but I haven't really said it."