chapter eight

Hayden pulled on a tight black dress and stared at herself in Luke's mirror pulling at her skin and flesh. She wasn't happy with how she looked, not many people are. 

"Hayden, you look fine," A voice spoke from the doorway. Luke stood there leaning against the door frame with his hands in the pockets of his tight black jeans. 

"No I don't Luke, you just don't get it. You're a boy." 

"You look great in that dress, I'd actually like to see it on you more often, but this party is super casual. Just a shirt and jean shorts would work." He motioned up and down at his outfit. He happened to be wearing a black t-shirt and black jeans. "I mean, just look at my outfit." 

She wandered over to her suitcase on the bed and pulled out a solid black v-neck and a pair of dark denim shorts. She held them up and looked at Luke. "These okay?" She asked. 

"That's perfect. I'll be waiting downstairs with the boys, we're all ready." Luke shut the door behind him and Hayden quickly jumped into her outfit and sat down in front of the mirror to do her makeup. She put on some light foundation, eye shadow, mascara, and some eyeliner, but not too much. She, then, cleaned up her makeup bag, put it on Luke's desk, and walked out the door. She held her grey vans in her hand and walked down the stairs towards the boys. 

"Ready to go?" She asked. Waiting for the boys to lead the way, Hayden pulled out her phone to check the time just like any normal teenager would to avoid awkward situations. 

The group arrived at the party about ten minutes later after an awkward car ride. Hayden still wasn't a fan of Ashton or Michael, but if they were Luke's best friends, she was going to have to deal with them. 

The house party was already in full swing when the group arrived. A random boy, about everyone's age came stumbling up to Hayden. It was still pretty early, but this boy seemed to be trashed already. "Hey cutie, want a drink?" He practically shoved a red solo cup in her face. 

"I don't drink." Hayden pushed the cup away and saw Calum and Ashton on the other side of the room, already lining up their shots. 

As she made her way over to them, she saw Luke just watching the boys take the shots. "C'mon Luke, just one shot, don't be a pussy!" Ashton shouted. Luke just rolled his eyes at the boy. Michael came out of nowhere and stole one of Ashton's shots downing in as quickly as possible, with no chaser. 

Hayden eyed the shots, and swiftly picked one up. "Woah Andy, you're taking a shot?" Luke asked. 

She sniffed the small glass and gagged. "How do you boys even drink this? It's like drinking rubbing alcohol. I'd clean cuts with that, not drink it. You're disgusting." She placed the shot back down and walked over to Luke. 

"I don't drink either, it's okay. Alcohol is so gross." Luke shouted over the loud music of the party. 

"I just don't understand how someone can put that into their body." Hayden expressed her feelings about alcohol while being surrounded by drunk teenagers, some playing beer pong, some just taking shots, and others passed out on the floor of the party. She needed to use the bathroom, but didn't want to depend on the other boys at all. She wanted to be independent but also didn't want them to think she was relying on them and being annoying. As soon as Luke looked away from her and towards the other boys, she wandered away from the group.

She stepped around the people on the floor to a hallway. People were hooking up, left and right, some on the floor and some pressed up against the walls. She finally found the bathroom and after she finished her business, she stepped out and found Luke waiting out in the hallway for her. "Hayden! Don't just walk off, come on, I don't want to lose you on your second night here!"