[24.00] [October 28, 2015]

"Why are you here now?" I ask.

She laughs quietly, smile glinting in the moonlight that trickles through the windows.

"Clint. He's very convincing you know."

"Do you two....?"

"Clint? Oh please no. No. He's got..." She waves her hand a bit in the air. "People."

"Oh."

"Never thought I'd see you again since you put a bullet in me."

"Sorry."

"Don't be."

"You kept your hair."

She laughs again. "Yes. Yes I did."

We pause for a moment, letting the moment settle.

"What happened...to the others."

"I. I don't know. I don't like to think about it."

"Me neither."

She sighs and stares at the carpet. "You know how strange it is that I knew you before I knew Steve? That you both survived? That you're here now? That I'm here now? It doesn't make sense."

"I know. But it happened."

"I know."

"Do you ever feel like you shouldn't be here though?"

"What do you mean?"

"That there were so many times where it could have been you but it wasn't?"

"Yeah. It's just part of the job I guess."

"I hate it."

"Everybody does." she sighs and looks over into the kitchen. "I'm getting ice cream. Do you want ice cream?" I've had ice cream once since I got here and it's just as good as I remember.

"Sure."

We sit on the counter, eating Caramel-Fudge-Marshmallow-Tracks, until Tony wanders out of his lab and drinks three cups of coffee in a row.