21

7 months ago

7 months ago

Lorna laughs, as I once again poke her small baby bump, hoping the baby would make some sort of movement. The two of us had just finished watching a rerun episode of The Office. While Lorna and I were at Lakeview, one of our nurses got me the Season 1 dvd set, and I've had it ever since. It's the only decent thing those people ever did for me in that hellhole.

"Stop Tate, That tickles." She says, still laughing.

"Hi baby." I bring my ear to her stomach. "It's your auntie Tate." I smile. "How is Marcos taking this whole thing anyway?"

"I think he's more excited than I am. He's going to be a great dad. At least better than either of ours were anyway." She pulls down her white long sleeved top, returning the warmth back to her bare stomach.

"You never talk about your dad." I look up at her, while changing my position beside her so that I'm sitting cross legged.

"Yeah, well, you aren't exactly an open book about your parents either." She rolls her eyes.

"Not true. Every detail Eveline gives me, I tell you."

"I mean, there's nothing to talk about. He died in a plane crash when I was one, and..." she begins and I sigh.

"You know who I mean." I reference her birth father, who she's only ever spoken about once in the six years we've known each other.

"I don't want to talk about him." She says turning to face me. "Promise me that you won't let me become like our parents to this baby, okay?"

"Yeah...I promise." I nod.

"Commentator Benedict Ryan called for mandatory mutant curfews, and urged anti mutant protesters to stand their ground." The blonde reporter from the channel 6 news explains, and I subconsciously shake my head with annoyance.

"I can try to track the inner circle from the bank, get ahead of them." John says, fully ready to put a plan into motion.

"You're crazy." Clarice scoffs, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. That place is like a hornets nest right now." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Well, if the worlds a tinderbox and the Inner Circle's out there lighting matches, we have to do something." Marcos says, disagreeing.

"Just because we have no other option doesn't mean that we need to go on some kind of suicide mission." I say. "If even one of us gets caught near the bank, it's over, because our plan will no longer be "stop the Inner Circle." It'll be "rescue our friend from prison."

"It's not a suicide mission." John shakes his head.

"Dude, for a guy with the eyes of an eagle, you are stone cold blind." Clarice snaps. "There are three of us, and they killed, like, 20 people."