Chapter 4: Emile Bonnaire

Cosette finally arrived to the harbor and had Sapphire taken to the stables. Now, she wished the boys would actually come drag her along rather than just telling her when and where to meet them. She was pretty mad at them for getting her in danger with that Valdim character a few weeks ago. And Aramis fussing over her wounds was very annoying. Cosette was just lucky he didn't look any further. They were treating ehr differently. Luckily, they were treating her like a normal human being and not a tag along kid. She spotted her friends and sat next to Aramis, all four watching the man they came here to collect: Emile Bonnaire, a man who broke the peace treaty between France and Spain.

What disgusted Cosette even further was that the man was flirting with a young woman...and she was seduced by a feather.

"Seduced by a feather. Really?" Cosette muttered. Aramis came down and whispered in her ear and put an arm around her shoulders.

"Anyone can tell a woman she's beautiful," said Aramis. "Making her believe it... is where the genius lies."

Turns out, Athos was right, as there was a lot of people watching Bonnaire. And things got really interesting when a woman came in to attack Bonnaire flirting with another woman. Cosette nearly got up but Aramis stopped her and pushed her back into her seat.

"I want to see how this plays out," Aramis said and Cosette couldn't help but laugh at that. That was when all hell broke out. The musketeers and Cosette quickly entered the fight, firing their pistols and sword fighting. When it was done with, Bonnaire looked at the men.

"Gentlemen, thank you. Thank you. I can't thank you enough. Lucky for me you were here."

"Not entirely," said Athos. 'Emile Bonnaire, I am Athos of the King's Musketeers. You are under arrest. We're taking you to Paris to appear before the King."

"Er, no... I'm afraid I can't, er, can't travel today cos I've got important business..." said Bonnaire.

"Your business will have to wait." said Athos.

"Right. What about her?"said Cosette, pointing towards the woman who tried to kill Bonnaire.

"I have a name. It is Maria Bonnaire," said the woman.

"Gentlemen, my wife," said Bonnaire.

"That explains a lot," Cosette said, earning a laugh from Porthos.

"Any hidden weapons we should know about?" Athos asked.

"Er, no. No, I never carry any concealed weapons." However, the boys found weapons hidden with him. Bonnaire laughed. The musketeers shook their head in disgust. Porthos chuckled and patted him good-heartedly on the back. The two men dressed in black approached what appeared to be papers Bonnaire lost. Cosette could tell the hostility in their voices being hidden in their voices.

"Paris it is," said Bonnaire. "But grant me one last favour before we go. A few moments alone with my wife."

"You must think we're stupid," Cosette said. She looked at her friends, in which Aramis shrugged and Porthos laughed a little bit. She looked back at Bonnaire. "Hm, terribly sorry, apparently we are."

" I must have your guarantee that you won't try to escape, monsieur," said Athos.

"You have my word on it... as a gentleman."

"D'Artagnan," Athos said. Cosette shook her head as Athos wanted her to show them to their room to spend alone. The Bonnaires followed her, where Maria was allowed in first. Bonnaire stopped and looked at Cosette.

"I must ask, what is a girl doing with a group of musketeers," Bonnaire asked the teenager. Cosette looked up at him alarmed. How did he know?!

"You are mistaken..." Cosette began.