Chapter 27

Cosette wished she could Now be happy, but she wasn't working yet, because, all they needed was a plan to get Milady. Treville sent out a messenger for her. Meanwhile, things were not so good for the three members of les Inséparables. Cosette saw how her comrades were acting strange around her. . Aramis and Porthos were the ones about to face her wrath. When the two told Cosette that Constance had gone missing, she hit the roof and began pacing around the Garrison.

"Perhaps we're worrying about nothing," said Aramis. Cosette sighed in frustration. Didn't they know there were more things at stake rather than Milady's capture?

"Constance would not just disappear, Mis," said Cosette. " Something's happened to her."

"She might be home already, safe and sound."

"And what if she isn't?" Cosette tried to refrain from yelling. She really did. "Please, guys, she is my best friend."

" Look, I'm sure she's fine, Cosette, alright" Porthos said. The young woman was slightly taken aback. She'd have to get used to them calling her by her first name. Her real first name. "She came to the garrison when she heard you were injured. You could see she was upset."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Cosette asked. She glared at the boys.

"You were sleeping," said Aramis.

"Besides," said Porthos. "You told us to send her away if she tried to contact you.

"Yes, but that isn't what I meant anymore," said Cosette. "Now, in scared about her. I don't ...just because we had an argument doesn't mean I didn't care about her anymore."

"You only have to look at her face to see she cared about you, 'Sette," said Aramis. Cosette was surprised at the nickname.

"Please don't call me that," said Cosette. "One man called need that and he was my father. I prefer it if you call me by my full name."

Aramis never got the chance to respond because the captain walk through the gates with news.

"Milady is on her way. She's taken the bait." said the captain.

Cosette refrained from going to the stables when Aramis stopped in front of her. He placed an arm around the girl's shoulders.

"We'll deal with Milady and then we'll find Constance." Aramis said. Cosette smiled. It was like having an older brother again.

Treville, Aramis, Porthos and Cosette entered a hasty speed on the dirt road, meeting Milady Anne de Winter, who was watching as the musketeers dismount from the horses.

"The Cardinal was unavoidably detained," said Treville. Cosette watched Milady's jaw clench.

"So, he has finally betrayed me?"However, Milady didn't care. She smiled victoriously to the Musketeers." Well, it changes nothing. I've already won. Athos is dead."

Cosette, Porthos, Aramis and Treville stopped themselves from smiling as Athos came behind from Milady. She shut her eyes, knowing it was true: her ex-husband was still alive.

"I should have guessed." said Milady. She turned around.

"It seems we are both prone to resurrection. "said Athos. Cosette was surprised at how calm he was considered being "Dead" for a few moments.

"It's amazing what you can do with a bit of play-acting and a pig's bladder full of blood," Porthos fired At Milady, who glared at Cosette. It was quite clear that girl tricked her all to well. Cosette ignored her.

"Did your revenge taste sweet?" Athos asked Milady, who turned her attention back to her former husband.

"For a moment... and then something strange happened. The world seemed diminished without you." Milady answered. She began walking away. Athos coolly took out his pistol and pointed it at his ex-wife's head.