The Misty Mountains Cold

I grabbed a quilt and returned to the living room and curled up in an armchair by the fire. Balin saw me and crossed over to where I sat.

"Well lass, are you ready to leave everything for the unknown?"

"Balin, this place is beautiful but sometimes I look around and just want to cry. I've been here most of my life and I want to see something before I die. My life hasn't been long, I just barely came of age a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen hardly anything unless you count that one trip I made at 25. The world is passing me by and I finally intend to follow it."

"You're an admirable lass. I'm glad you'll be with us. And thank you for that dinner, it was scrumptious." I chuckled.

"You're welcome. Fili, Kili, someone, can you get me my pins and hair ribbons out of the bathroom?"

"The lads will wait on you hand and foot I'm sure."

"Including Thorin? But he's the king.."

"Most definitely Thorin. I saw the way he looked at you when you told Gloin off and when you read the runes. He was impressed. Frankly, so was I. Oh look, there he is now." Thorin wordlessly handed me my pins and ribbons and walked to the other side of the fire. As I gazed at him, I heard him begin to hum. He had the most beautiful voice I'd ever heard. Soon all the other dwarves were joining in. I began humming as well. Thorin did not look up from the fire as he began to sing.

"Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away ere break of day

To find our long-forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the height

The winds were moaning in the night

The fire was red, it flaming spread

The trees like torches blazed with light...." I was in awe of all they had endured. I felt ready to take on the dragon myself.... after I had a good night's sleep.

"Well, I think it's time to turn in. The better we sleep, the longer we'll be able to go tomorrow without stopping. Write down your breakfast orders and we'll try to make breakfast before we leave. Goodnight, I'll be going to bed now."

"Goodnight, lass." Dwalin reached down and gave me a quick hug.

"Goodnight." I gave Balin a hug and a kiss on the cheek and I said goodnight to every single dwarf until just Fili, Kili, and Thorin were left in the room with me. Fili and Kili waltzed up to me.

"Goodnight, Bella!" each of them kissed a cheek and set off down the hall. Thorin and I stood facing each other awkwardly.

"Goodnight, my lady." He kissed my hand again.

"Goodnight, my king." Thorin's hard face softened and he let go of my hand and slowly set off down the hall, looking back at me the whole time. That is until he ran into a wall. I giggled like a little Hobbit girl. I quickly plaited my hair and followed the hall to my room as he disappeared around the corner. As I came upon the door to my room, I could see the room next to me was occupied by Thorin. He was staring out of the small window, the moonlight cast upon his face.

I went into my room and fell onto my bed without crawling under the covers. Soon I felt myself drifting off to sleep and I readied myself to face whatever horrors would come in the morning.