The House of Elrond

"This is indeed Rivendell, my dear. It is The Last Homely House East of the Sea."

"So this was your plan," Thorin whipped around to face Gandalf," to take refuge with our enemy!"

"Thorin Oakenshield," The Company parted as I passed,"you have no enemies here. The only ill will to be found in this valley is that which you bring here yourself!" I crossed my arms and tapped my foot.

"Do you really think that the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." Gandalf was about to speak but decided against it.

"Of course they will, but we have questions that are in urgent need of answering," Thorin sighed defeatedly.

"If we are to be successful, as you hope to be I'm sure, this will need to be handled with tact. Also respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you, my king, will leave the talking to me." I began leading Thorin and the rest of The Company down a winding path towards the archways that served as the city gates.

Once we had passed through, we came to a small bridge that led over one of the many perfectly clear streams that wound their way through Rivendell. Many of The Company, apart from Thorin, Gandalf, and myself, looked at the city with wonder as we passed over the bridge. We had only been standing on the platform on the other side for a few moments when an old friend appeared at the top of a set of stairs. Evidently he had been sent to greet us.

"Ah, Lindir." I put my right hand to my heart, then extended it to him.

"Ae ladui. Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen." (Small Lady. We had heard you had crossed into the Valley.)

"Mithrandir and I must speak with Lord Elrond."

"My Lord Elrond is not here."

"Not here? Where is he, Lindir?" almost in answer to my question, the same hunting horns as before sounded. I couldn't see the horses above the heads of The Company, but I could hear the clack of horse's hooves on the stone path as they drew closer.

Dwalin barked something in Khuzdul and Thorin dragged me up the stairs and stood me next to Lindir.

"CLOSE RANKS! Bella, you stay there!" from where I was standing, I watched Bilbo become swallowed by the dwarves who were all pointing their weapons at the horses that were now circling them. Suddenly the horses stopped.

I could just barely see Lord Elrond's face in between the shoulders of two elves. He took notice of me eventually.

"Belladonna,"

"Lord Elrond! Mellonnen! Mo evínedh?" Fili, Kili, and Bilbo gasped. (My friend! Where have you been?)

"Farannem 'lamhoth i udul o charad, " he dismounted, "Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui." he stooped down and put his arms around me. (We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.)

"It is strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Someone or something must have drawn them near." he gave the Orc sword that he was carrying to Lindir, who had come back to the bottom of the steps.

"That may have been us, and for that I apologize." I stepped aside so he could get a full view of The Company. Thorin took a few steps towards Lord Elrond.

"Welcome, Thorin, son of Thrain."

"I do not believe we have met." I rolled my eyes at his curt tone.

"You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under The Mountain."

"Really? He made no mention of you." Lord Elrond took a breath and began to speak in Sindarin once again.