Chapter 14: You and I

A deafening silence had even more surrounded the two mages. Only the wind had uttered a sound, blowing air that made the celestial mage shiver in coldness. It wasn't supposed to be a cold weather, but the nervousness she felt sent chill through out her spine. However, despite the lingering feeling, she was determined to spill the details to her friend.

"When master announced that you and Natsu were gone missing, he strictly gave an order not to follow you, but, clearly... I defied it. So, that morning, as I went to the train station, Gajeel dragged me back to the guild, I was annoyed with him for doing that, only to find out that master told him to follow me."

Gray's eyes were on the sky's horizon, yet his ears were focused in hearing Lucy out, he waited for her to continue, however he already noticed the latter's face being in distress.
Lucy was about to cry again, she didn't want to, yet, it seemed that whenever she promised something like that, it would always boomerang back at her. So, she decided to let go. She allowed herself to cry.

"You should've seen his face, Gray. It was heartbreaking. The moment I let my mark removed, all the more I decided to look for you and Natsu."

"We've known master, he isn't that hard. You can always go back, Lucy." Gray responded, at last.

"No, Gray. I disappointed him. I wanted to make it right, but right now, I think I just messed it up. I messed up, Gray. I'm supposed to be helping, but what did I do?... Lameria told me the truth about this mission, and I now truly understand you. I'm sorry..."

"Lameria told you, everything?..."

Gray couldn't believe what he heard. It hadn't been Lameria's ways to speak about the mystery of Arkinea, not to someone she just knew, like Lucy.

"Mmm..." Lucy nodded in agreement.
"I was being inconsiderate to you Gray, and... And, I only realized just yet, that I'm only a burden to you, and I'm not being of help. I-I don't deserve to stay..."

"I'm not the only one."
The ice mage suddenly blurted out, to Lucy's confusion.

"What do you mean you're not the only one?"

"I'm not the only one who has the habit of apologizing..." Gray's words had a little bit of humor. Nonetheless, he was still serious about their conversation. He had changed to different position and had now faced Lucy. His hand had held one of Lucy's arms, giving her a smile of comfort.

"I'm sorry, I made you feel that way by not telling you. You have to hear it from Lameria rather than me, your comrade... I assure you that you're not a burden to me, and you're not even close as useless, Lucy. What you did this morning, along with Lyra... It's more than I could ask for. Thank you... Thank you so much."

Gray suddenly gave Lucy a soft hug. Meanwhile, the woman was stunned at first. However, as seconds passed and he still didn't let go, she let herself get melted in to it. Afterward, he broke himself away, and even though he was a bit embarrassed of what he just did, he didn't let go of his hand on her arm.

"From now on, we're gonna stick together. You and I, we will be partners. That is, if... you agree." He glared at Lucy with a questionable look, though his eyes were gentle and hopeful.

"Do you need to ask me that?" Lucy responded, and this time her eyes had been dried from tears. Gray had, after all helped her get them wiped off with his thumb, and she sniffled from crying.

With their conversation, both had started to be more opened to each other. Lucy returned Gray's good-natured smile.

"Promise me one thing, though...
Don't go on every mission alone."

"I will, if you do promise me that as well."
Lucy gave a little distance from Gray's hold, only to take out her hand, gesturing for a pinky promise.

"This might be childish but, I still believe there's sincerity when we do it this way. Now, promise me, please."

Gray also showed his pinky finger to Lucy and gave her reply.

"Promise..."