Chapter 23- Celestial Hope

It was the elderly woman who had caught Lucy's attention. She had worn a long and thick cloak, way different from the style everybody had worn in this island. It was a bit easier to recognize the woman as soon as she took off her hood. It was Gyna. However, as of now, she had a different aura in her. Her hair that was originally ash gray, turned into a shining silver under the breaking dawn, and her face became youthful as ever. Gyna's eyes hooded towards the mage, yet it was not the type that could instill fear on the latter. Then she held her hand as if inviting Lucy to come with her.

"I know you still have many questions..."

"You want more answers, come with me..."

The two were now walking around 15 minutes on a deep side of the woods. Lucy, who had not yet taken a sleep felt already exhausted, she was about to ask her companion where they would exactly go, but Gyna suddenly stopped from her tracks.

A small cave, which led to an underground can now be seen. The entrance was too narrow and Lucy doubted whether they would enter or not, yet, before thinking further, Gyna had managed to widen the opening when she touched and grabbed a handful of soil from the ground. It turned out to be a sort of a basement that was buried further, and soon enough the two went down through the staircase of roots that led them to a certain area with stone walls which are shimmering like gold, except that its color is different.

"This area is founded upon the underground source, which people from the past had mined into petros." Gyna began. She then placed her hand in one side of the wall, from which a huge emerald projection flashed through a wall like a screen.

"Is that a lacrima?
Lucy queried. She stared in awe at the projection as it showed cluster of stars that seemed to be revolving.

"We refer dis as d' Videforas... It waz built through the ancestral king's desire to explore the world beyond earthland." Gyna had now gestured her hand, moving it side ways to which the projection proceeded to another image. Lucy was still in awe upon looking at it.

"So, that is the outer space, huh... I never thought it would look that incredible. I mean I had seen a glimpse of if it when we were in the spirit world, but having to see it in this angle is totally different. "

"Truly dear. This was a magnifice nt discovery. But, listen to me Lucy. This may be a flawless one,however, it did not save the the kingdom of Arkinea, 127 years ago."

This was the 2nd time that Lucy heard this part of the story, first was from Lameria when they were on the boat, and now from Gyna. The difference is that Lameria did not fully told her what happened to those who managed to escape and where could they possibly lived after that. She was hoping to hear more from the woman she was now talking to.

"Lameria said they were survivors... "

"We did not survive... We evaded death."
Gyna showed her arm to Lucy. There was a conspicuous scar on it that was somehow lining from the back of her forearm down to her risk, looking like a crack on a glass. Meanwhile, Lucy was speechless, her eyes were glued towards Gyna, telling her to keep on speaking.

"It was years ago, that Lameria, Arkin, and I were around 7 years old when we saw a humongous pod. We didn't know what it was but we went inside. Arkin accidentally touched a silver ore gleeming on the center of the capsule, and after he did that, everything seemed to blow apart, including us. Bright light emitted from it. It was so bright and massive that it made us all lost consciousness, and when we woke-up we found this."

Gyna had showed once again her scar to Lucy. Yet, she was not done with her story. She looked at the young woman in front of her, the same as having an expression of giving one a sign to buckle up with more bigger stories to hear of.

"You see, the thing is, when you get blown upon like that, you think you would die. But, for us, it gave us more life and strength, it invigorated us, and with Arkin, it was almost impossible. According to him, supernatural beings from different galaxies have been telling him something. He said it was a spiritual intervention. Lameria and I chose to agree with him even though we didn't experience the same, let alone the intervention he kept on saying. Nevertheless, we made a pact to be leaders and guardians of this kingdom. Arkin made a pact with his grandfather who was first leader of the tribe. He would enrich the land through the petros he had found. According to him, one of the supernatural taught him where to find it and how to produce such thing. We gave our trust to him. When we were 12 years old, Arkin began to work on the petros. He taught all the males of the tribe to mine, and every piece of petros we find, we used them to build things, including this. "

Gyna was referring to the place, especially, the Videforas. On the other hand, Lucy was attentive in listening to the older woman, she even forgot how tired she was and how heavy was Gyna's foreign accent. Then, Gyna continued.

"With Arkin, being our ruler the tribe had never asked for more, it had been our golden years, until, the fallen rock."

"The one that wiped out the entire Arkinea." The blonde mage suddenly interrupted. While, Gyna looked her once again in the eye, contemplating whether or not she would continue. Still, she proceeded.

"Before that happened, Arkin talked to us about some kind of astrioia falling down from the sky towards the planet, hitting our kingdom. He told us before that we had only 7 years to look for a celestial mage who could help us. We believed in him, but we were never serious in looking for one, for we didn't even know if there was such a person. In the end we only ignored Arkin, our friend, and our ruler." Gyna's expression was now full of remorse and resentment to a particular someone. Meanwhile, Lucy observed something different from the way she talked about Arkin, yet, she opted to keep her curiosity to herself and let the older woman continue from speaking. Gyna was now glaring at her scar, and then, she closed her eyes. When she opened it, they seemed to turn back from the way they were, prior to talking about Arkin.

"Until the time came, when that rock hit us... And Arkin... He sacrificed himself. Dear, listen to me. When I told you about the bright light that gave us strength, I didn't only mean as that. For that very light... has made us immortal..."

Lucy didn't know how to take it all in, however, she chose to believe in what Gyna had said. Does this stand to reason that everything she read about the ancient legend of warriors are true?

"Do you even know exactly how it made you become one, I mean, surely, that bright light could be something, but what was in it?"

"No one knew, even today. But, Arkin mentioned that it was a gift given by one of the supernaturals. We have given the opportunity to live long, in order to protect everything around us." Gyna continued.
"When that massive rock began to fall, very few people found ways to survive, including sailing afar. Arkin, meanwhile, chose to stay..."

"Did he not survive?"
Gyna's story had now taken Lucy in so much jargon, yet she wanted to hear more of it.

"He did not left the kingdom when we escaped. Lameria and I saw how the kingdom was trampled along with him inside his fortress. Who would survive such a thing? Maybe, us, being immortals, but we never saw him after it. We thought what happened had really caused his life and that us being immortals had its end point. "

Lucy just blinked her eyes in interest , whilst her companion was still eager to go further with her story.

"Except, two years ago Arkin showed himself to us. It was truly Arkin from head to toe except more vigorous . He said he managed to stay alive because he was immortal and that forces of umbrius have surged through him... He said he would save Arkinea from another destruction that should come 100 years after."

Lucy's eyes widened, this could mean that this mission they are having is related to the kingdom's destruction that may happen anytime in this century. The mad king they referring to, it was Arkin... The secret mission was a secret, to refrain people from panicking as the world, their world was about to get destroyed.
Gyna went towards Lucy, bending her knees and holding the latter's hands.

"Lucille, being a celestial mage, you're the only hope."

The blonde mage beaded in sweat looking at the woman who was practically begging her. What must she do?
Lucy was contemplating, until her heart stopped when Gyna began talking once again.

"Dear, you're the only hope of Arkinea and Croccus alike..."