Chapter 14

The restaurant was almost filled up and I chose a lonely table and sat down anticipating my meal as welcome aromas drifted from the kitchen.

The rain had increased and although the sound was reduced in here I could tell it was serious when people began rushing in, seeking shelter.

A sales girl rushed to my side. She was pretty and in her early 20s.
"E ka le daddy, ki lo fe je" (good evening, what will you eat?)

I wanted to ask her which soup they had but couldn't remember the Yoruba word for soup.
I settled on vegetable with pounded yam and as she retreated from my table I felt watched. I glanced round the diner but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. People were sitting, eating, talking. Some were standing near the entrance, observing the rain probably waiting for the slightest break in current so they'd be out on the street no doubt. I took my time to observe as many people as I could but I didn't notice anybody. No one seemed to be paying any particular attention to me and I focused on my food when the girl served it.

As I ate I tried to think of my next line of action; Everything that had happened to me so far seemed surreal but I didn't need to pinch myself to be reminded this was reality.

It was a known fact the chief wanted me dead so it was logical I try to contact him first before all the effects of Wendy's wand ran out. What I intended to do, I didn't know. How was also a mystery but I knew I needed to act.
How about if I try to kill two birds with one stone? On the off chance that strange eyes was the one with the papers and I could sense my danger in coming across the chief. What if I got them both together? The papers were bound to fall out for sure.

I pushed my thoughts to the background and observed the diner. The feeling of being watched was back again. I feared it was someone from Dr. Rasheed’s side. I didn't even want to think of the Institute but the details he had rattled off about my family had been too accurate it was chilling. What had he said; 'my fathers ram had won the fight' how did he know about that? When my mother had called-

My phone vibrated!
I checked the ID and grimaced.

I wouldn't say speak of the devil cause my mother is an angel in my eyes but lo and behold my thoughts must have conjured the call.

I hesitated to pick the call. Washing my hands, hoping it would be a missed call.
The vibration stopped but before I could blink she was calling again. I finally answered, "hello mama"

I saw a young couple at the next table look at me in surprise, I could tell what they were thinking; 'wow this old man still has a mother...and they talk on the phone'

"I was expecting you to call back since" she said accusingly

"I forgot mama. The work has been too much recently"

She softened "I know, that's why you need a wife by your side now. I've been telling you since"

I mumbled something in agreement as I watched the sales girl clear the table.

"Your father’s ram has another fight on Saturday.." She lowered her voice "it’s like God touched your father today o. He used the money he won from that fight to buy me some lace and judge"

My eyes widened. My sisters and I had been responsible for clothing our mother since I could remember. We didn't really 'send' our Father because he came into enough money regularly from gambling alone but you know the cycle of gambling, easy come easy go, in and out. Still sufficient money was on hand to spoil his wife every now and then but the thought never crossed his mind that's why I was surprised. This was news!

"All of it?" I asked her

"Haba now don't you know your father" she laughed. She sounded happy and I smiled.