Chapter 61

The hotel was a five star hotel. It was found in one of the classiest part of Lagos and was a location suitable for the presence of the kind of guests billed to attend the award ceremony.

As we drew closer, I found myself wishing that the time would be African time and that the hall would still be empty when the timer would count down.

That was just in case I couldn't reach it in time.

The amount of cars and the heavy security presence at the gate would convince me that was wishful thinking. Wishful thinking of the highest order.

A strong mixture of both police and military presence was evident at the gate and they were doing a stop and search before letting cars into the hotel premises.

"Shiit. I don't know how on Earth we're going to get into the hotel at this rate." Betran sighed

"Relax we'll get in" I assured him. Though I wasn't so sure.

"And when we get in? How on earth do we get into the hall?"

"Look Betran, we didn't come this far to turn back without trying. Stop worrying and start praying. Pray for me, I don't want to lose my life today"

He fell silent and we waited impatiently for our turn.

"Pop your trunk," A fierce looking soldier instructed and Betran complied immediately.

A police officer inspected the booth of the car and not finding anything suspicious, shut it with a loud bang that caused a jittery Betran to jerk.

"What is your business here today?" The soldier asked

I spoke up before Betran could.

"we have a business meeting over the weekend and Our colleagues would be joining us later today"

He scrutinized me closely then turned his attention to Betran. After some few seconds(it felt more like hours really) he decided we fitted the business type. He waved us in after adding: "endeavour to stay away from the west wing of the hotel today," he gestured with his hands to show us where he meant.

I could see the hall was in that section. Countless cars were already lined up in the lot and I could see a small crowd outside the entrance and some camera crews as well. Whatever journalist was not at the other hotel location conducting the interview would be here it seems.

We nodded our agreement and Betran drove into the premises gratefully.

"What now?" He asked me immediately.

"I don't know," I replied. He was circling the parking lot, looking for a suitable parking space.

I scratched my head deep in thought, "do you think I can pass for Wole Soyinka?"

He shook his head, "uhm uhm. His elder brother probably...but definitely not the real deal, your face is too withered"

"Poof!" I checked the time "we have just thirteen minutes to 12. What time did you say the gas is going to go off?"

"The latest should be few minutes past noon"

"Shit! Stop this car. Park anywhere!"

He parked immediately and I yanked the door.

"What are you going to do?" He called out

"What I do best" I tossed over my shoulder as I hurried away "improvise!"

:::
The a/c in the hotel reception hit me with full force and I felt like it was going to freeze my grey beard. I hurried to the marbled counter in the center of the room.