Chapter 24

I highlighted from the bike about two streets from Andy's apartment. I thought it wise not to let the bike man know the house I was going to because I knew he had to be in liaison with the thief and the only thing worse than a thief was one hungry for revenge.

I was becoming attached to the blade however and as the driver sped off I considered throwing it into the gutter.

Hours ago, I had turned down a similar knife from a suya seller because I thought I didn't have the guts to rip someone open.

Now I wasn't still sure I could, but the idea didn't seem so appalling anymore. I strolled down the empty street in silence, hearing a dog bark in the distance. I worried about street vigilantes. It would be hard to explain my presence by this time; almost 2 in the morning, not to mention the wicked blade that glinted in the moonlight.

Maybe I should just throw it away. I had scared Andy too much already and seeing the blade could put him in a frenzy.

I only considered these thoughts but didn't act on it. At the end, I knocked on Andy's door, grateful that no vigilante had stopped me.

Andy must have thought it was Mona, which means he had probably been awake waiting frantically for her. He opened the door without asking who it was and when he saw me his face literally fell.

I was too tired to be hurt by his 'enthusiasm' or lack thereof. I barged into his home, pushing the arm he used to block the door out of the way.

He shut the door reluctantly.

"Oba I’m tired of you. You don’t even listen to me again. What kind of friend are you?"

"A friend in need." I replied heading to his fridge. I left the blade on his dining table. "Which would make me a friend indeed" I brought out a canned beer.

Trust Andy to always have that in full stock.

His eyes had widened at the sight of the blade and he watched me warily.
"Oba I don't know what you are turning into...scratch that I don't know what you have turned into but please, please and please stay away from me if you truly value our friendship"

"I value our friendship Andy, God knows I do." I took a long gulp.

The can was half empty now as a matter of fact I wouldn't mind turning to an alcoholic tonight.

"Then why do you keep on doing this to me? See what I went through earlier because you stole a car...the police almost skinned me alive"

I was quiet. I had thought to get a little tipsy so I could tell him easily about Mona but the beer had turned to water in my mouth.

"Normally I wouldn't mind, it would even be fun but not anymore Rex. Now I'm married."

On a normal day I would have rolled my eyes at this but not tonight.

"Not only that Rex but I'm going to be a father"

I looked up in surprise and despite myself I said "congratulations" I know how much Andy had wanted a child. But look at the card life had dealt him. Andy would have been the best father that child could hope for.

My anger doubled again this time not only for Mona's sake, not only for Andy's sake but for the unborn child's sake. For being robbed off having one of the best Fathers one could hope for.

Andy continued, "Oba you know you're my brother but you have to understand. I just called my mom last night and her joy was priceless." He smiled at the memory and I knew I had to do something fast because I was losing my nerve.

"Andy, Fome is dead!" I blurted

He blinked at me as he lost his train of thought. "My God...Rex," he crossed over to where I was still rummaging the fridge for God knows what.