Chapter 57

“Rex...are you there?" Olivia was saying in my ear

I couldn't reply. I held on to the handle tight but I kept on looking back.  I had managed to get both legs up and I kept on looking at what had once been a jeep.

It still burned brightly into the night and it was causing traffic as all the vehicles slowed down and entered the second lane. I was numb for some seconds and Olivia must have thought my silence meant the worst had happened because she kept on calling my name over and over, her voice was breaking and a part of my brain registered Andy's voice trying to calm her down, telling her I was alright.

The trailer kept on speeding, increasing the distance from the burning jeep. Finally, I snapped myself from the daze I was in.
"Olivia, I'm here. I'm alive" I spoke up.

She almost broke down in relief “Oh thank God...."

I tuned out again thinking of Bami and Tonye. Had they been caught in the explosion?

I spoke up interrupting Olivia who was asking me what had happened and what the loud noise had been.

"Bami…hello Tonye…are you there?" No reply.

I tried to clear my head. I had to focus on the job at hand, I was hanging behind a container and if any car should get too close, the headlights would outline me and I might be taken for a thief trying to get to the imported goods inside the container. The worst that could happen was for a car to pull up beside the trailer and alert them that a suspicious looking man was hanging at the back.

I studied the door of the container. That had to be a very big padlock. I had the glock 9 hooked to my belt and I considered shooting the padlock but my aim couldn't be steady not with the trailer moving the way it was and there was the possibility that the bullet would ricochet and strike me.

"Bami…Strange eyes...Tonye...are you there?!" I called again.
No reply.

What am I doing. They're dead...they're gone, blown to the sky! I felt a sudden chill and I tried lifting myself. Maybe if I could get onto the roof of the container…

"Is somebody there...somebody help!" I heard the sharp cry from inside the container.

The voice sounded scared.

Another: "is someone there...please...get us out of here!"

I held on to the handle tightly with my left hand, brought out the gun and used the butt to smack the padlock. I hit it like 4-6 times and I was sure the padlock wasn't going to give way.

I holstered the gun back then put my mouth close to the line where both doors met.

By this time there was an excited vibration from within the container, the widows had heard the noise and believed the Calvary had arrived.

I spoke up: "listen to me, listen carefully. I'm going to try and get you out but I'd need your help. If the door should be opened, I need all of you to be brave"

A car was approaching and the headlights illuminated me. I cursed myself  and tried lifting to the roof. But it was very difficult and the strain on my hands was just too much.

The car moved closer and I waited for it to overtake the trailer but instead it flashed it’s light and moved closer.
I was suspicious and hopeful.

Maybe it was Bami and Tonye after all. They might have survived the explosion and gotten another car. Even as I entertained these thoughts, the person in the passenger seat stuck his head outside the window. "Rex...you need to jump...we'd move closer but you need to jump to the bonnet"