Chapter 27

Now my next door neighbour Mama Nkechi was as nosy as they come. She was always chattering about other people’s lives but kept a tight lid on hers. She knew what went on in the next 2 streets but nobody knew anything about her.

I hated her and she hated me too.

I could hear her singing as she moved about her kitchen probably preparing her children for school. If she should come out and see me now that would be disastrous! I tapped my foot impatiently as I watched Andy try to get under the caution tape which was impossible; he was as long as a pole!

"Just tear it off!" I whispered not wanting my voice to be heard by mama Nkechi who was still singing. 'My hands are blessed, my hands are blessed...'

Andy finally barged in with his body, ripping the caution tape and came back seconds after.
We proceeded to pull out Flacko from the car. "This was a bad idea, you know the kind of snitch neighbours you have Oba.." Andy complained

"Once we get the answers we need we can leave them in the house. Please don't make any noise, this neighbour..."

The words were barely out of my mouth and we were at the door. We had been moving side ways as we carried the dreaded thug and I had his legs while Andy held his shoulders or so I thought. It turned out he carried him by his dreadlocks and as we rotated to a straight line to pass the door easily, he lost his grip and Flacko's big head crashed against the floor with a bouncing noise that I feared his head must have split open.

"We should have left him in the car. It’s just the girl we need to question!" Andy whispered furiously..

"Sshhhh!" I shushed him and listened closely, straining my ears. The singing from the next flat had had stopped.

I heard her unlock the bolt of her door, mama Nkechi was coming outside to investigate the noise.

"Quick drag him inside." I whispered to Andy and he dragged him by the legs and pulled him into the house.

"Who is that, who is there?"

The place was still dark and she remained on her balcony straining her eyes, not wanting to come near the house someone had been killed 5 days ago.

"Mama Nkechi it’s me"

"Rec" (she never pronounced my name correctly she pronounced it: wreck)

"Yes it’s me"

"Wettin you dey find for here"

"Wettin I dey find for my house?"

"You no know say police don dey find you come since?"

"For what?" I asked impatiently

"You wan tell me say you no know say person die for your house?"

"Madam please you are wasting my time if you have nothing useful to tell me then please leave me alone. I don't have time for this"

"Tooh- no vex o" She looked at me a second longer then hurried to her kitchen

I joined Andy in my home. It felt so different, like a stranger’s home now.

"We need to leave. That woman, if she has any police number then they are on their way already. We need to question this girl asap, we can leave the rest here"

"She wouldn't even wake up" Andy said. "I have poured water on her, been shaking her since but no response. I think she may have suffered a concussion."

"What do we do now.." I rubbed my face and my beard scratched my hands. Before, I used to shave every morning and could always boast of a clean and smooth jaw line but apparently not anymore.