28. Who Knew Shopping Was This Fun

"Hey! What are you doing here?"

I turn to face the voice. "Jake! Hi..."

He looks amused. "I asked you a question, baby girl."

"B-b..." Baby girl I clear my throat. "Um, yeah. Dakota put me on shopping duty this week."

"I see."

"Yeah..." I just let myself trail off, glancing around the shelves.

"So are you ready for our date tomorrow?"

My eyes snap back to his face. "Not a date." I quickly argue.

"Right."

"It's true."

"Okay." He nods.

"What I'm serious!"

"I'm sure you are."

I let out a frustrated huff. "You're a dick."

"I have a dick." He corrects. "And also, girlfriend, I can call it what I want."

"Girlfriend?" I frown. Oh, right. Yeah we're kinda dating now... "That's some term of endearment." I add, sarcastically.

He laughs. "For a second I thought you almost forgot about us."

"As if." I snort. "You text me annoying things every two minutes."

"I do not!" he says defensively.

"Yeah you do."

"I make sure it's been at least 5 before I add to the text." He jokes.

"Right. Well, I actually have to go, Dakota wants me to get all my shopping done quickly, and come right back."

"Right. Again with the avoidance thing." He smirks. "How's that working for ya, baby?"

I ignore him, and brush past his cart with a huff, inspecting the shelves. Where the hell is the brown sugar?

"Have you ever done this?" His voice breaks the silence.

"What?"

He gestures around us. "Shopped. In a store. On your own."

"What? Of course." I make a 'pssh' noise.

"Really."

"Um, yes."

"Okay, then. Because as I look over your shoulder to your shopping list, the first thing on it is brown sugar. Followed by pancake syrup and Oreo's, and you're in the cereal aisle." He states.

I hold the list close to me so he can't read it. "Buzz off. I'm not getting that unhealthy junk. I'm here for... 'Healthy choice nutrient bars'." I pick up the nearest box and read it.

"Oh. Okay then." Jake nods understandingly. "Have you ever tried those?"

"Of course. I've been having these since I was a little girl. It's an excellent way to 'health up your morning'." I huff.

"Okay, now you're just reading off the box."

"Whatever. These are my favorite, and also I don't like being bothered when shopping so go away." I sigh.

Jake turns to walk away, than with a snort, turns back to me. "Those have been your favorite since you were a little girl, hey?"

"Yes. For like, 12 years I've loved them." I lie.