chapter 31

:༅𐐪𐑂。:༅𐐪𐑂 :༅。𐐪𐑂 °

It was the day I was supposed to meet with Pattie and I had to keep telling myself over and over there was no reason for me to be nervous. I wasn't the one that was in the wrong; I needed to be confident about this and I needed to stand my ground, but most of all I needed to get this over with.

I was feeling sicker than usual and I had no idea right now if it was the constant nerves or the baby.

Just as I look down to caress my belly which honestly hadn't gotten any bigger; Pattie walks up "Naomi, how are you? How is Stella?" She questions sitting down at the table across from me and Stella who was in a high chair with no clue with what was going on.

"I don't want to beat around the bush Pattie. I came here to talk about one thing and I'd like it if we stuck to that one thing" Her eyes widen and I know that I've caught her off guard. I suppose there was a first time for everything, but I only wanted her to know that I liked this just as much as she did. I knew she didn't care about us and how we were doing. She never visited Stella; not like Jeremy

She clears her throat "Well ok so I suppose Justin has told you what happened?" She knows what this is about, of course she does she isn't dumb. Yet, unfortunately the answer was 'no' Justin hadn't told me what she said. I was still in the dark about that and would probably continue to be, but I needed us to clear the air. I needed us to try and get along.

I shake my head "He isn't going to tell me"

"And so you asked to have lunch because you want me to tell you.." She questions–unsure. I shake my head again

"That's not what I came here for. I don't want to know and it may be best if I don't ever know. I just want us to talk."

Before either of us get another chance to say anything the waiter comes and asks for our orders. Pattie orders first. I get Stella her favorite thing–french fries. I want a glass of wine to ease the nerves, but I know that's out of the question so I opt for something light.

Once the waiter is gone silence overtakes us but not for too long because I truly needed to get this off my chest before I have a full blown panic attack.

"I know you don't like me Pattie. I've even accepted it, but what I can't accept are the things you say about me to my husband–your son. I have been going back and forth with myself about what do about this and initially I had decided to simply cut you out of my life, Stella's life and this baby's life, but I can't do that. Not without hurting Justin"

"I—"

"Please I just need to get this out" I practically plead

"Justin and I have our problems, but we love each other. I love him so much and so when he comes home in such a disheveled state like the other night it breaks my heart." I suck up the tears begging to come down like waterfalls

"I'm sorry" she says and once again we're silent just as the waiter has come back with Stella's fries and our drinks

Stella starts to eat her fries and Pattie waits until the waiter is out of site to continue "I was wrong Naomi. I've judged you from the moment Justin introduced us, but you never know who is using him with the position he's in and he–he gets so blinded by love. Maybe he hasn't shown that part of himself to you, but I've seen it firsthand. I know he loves you all very much; he made it exceptionally clear the other day"

What was that supposed to mean?

I'm instantly curious and I want to know but if I'm going to find out it has to be from her because Justin won't tell me. He's always in a protective mode when all I want is for him to tell me things no matter what it is because we are equals.