seven

December 31

Sean

___________

A week had gone by, and I was by Kaycee's side waking minute. I had gone back to working for Janelle and Will, picking up extra classes to help put some extra money into my bank account now that I wasn't going to be taking care of just me. At least, hopefully. Holly had been keeping me updated, and Kaycee was returning back to her full function, meaning she was going to be allowed to come home really soon. And I was going to ask her to come home to me. My house was lonely by itself, and it was the one she'd always wanted since we were kids, and walking to and from the train station to Imma she'd point out, so it only would really be fulfilled by having her live in it. 

And then, I was going to swap that promise ring for an engagement ring. 

*********************ONE DAY AGO*******************

"Brad, Laura, Devon, Kylie," I said slowly, addressing each member of the family as I tried to stay calm. They watched me around the dining table. "Is everything alright, Sean?" Laura asked nervously, squeezing her husband's hand as she braced for the worst. "Yes, better than ok actually," I said, and I produced the black velvet box from my jacket.

"Is that-" Devon's eyes grew big.

"YES!" Kylie screamed, standing up and knocking over her chair. "AFTER ALL THIS SHIT, YES! FINALLY THIS IS HAPPENING! OK," she said, taking in a deep breath and sitting down, brushing the strands of hair that had been shaken loose from her ponytail aside. "What's the plan, Seany Boy?"

"I wanted to ask your permission to marry your daughter," I said to Brad and Laura, "And your sister," to Devon and Kylie. "It may not have been my fault directly, but I was at the wheel when the crash happened, and I was the one who got her pregnant, then failed to tell you," I cut off. I said too much. Shit, I really have done a lot. "So if you don't want me," I swallowed. "For Kaycee. I understand. And I'll back off. But sir," I turned to Brad, figuring he was going to be the hardest to convince. "There is no one I love more than your daughter. And I'll go to my grave on that. I'll protect her, care for her, be there for her, and I'll do all that I can to keep her light on. Sir, I don't know how I can say this without being cheesy, and I know I'm just 23, but Kaycee is my world, sir. I don't want to have my life without her."

"Son," Brad said, rising from his chair. Devon and Kylie watching their dad, obviously taking cues from him. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "I trust you with my daughter. Yes, there are some things that happened in the past that I'm not a fan of, but you didn't give up when things got bad. The fact that you took responsibility for it, you stayed with her day in and day out, you waited five years-" he broke off. "That shows me you care, my boy. And it would be an honor to give her away to you. Take good care of her, you hear me?"

I collapsed in relief and Devon and Kylie cheered. "I've got just one question," Kylie grinned, raising her champagne in a toast. "The hell took you so long, Lew?"

I grinned. "I don't know. But I'm going to need your help."

***********************************************

11:30 PM

"Not much for a New Years party," Kaycee remarked, as we sat on the couch in the empty hospital lounge, watching New Years Rockin Eve. I rolled my eyes, my fingers instinctively travelling to my pocket, lingering over the box. "I don't think it's that bad. We've got takeout and we've got champagne," to which I took a sip, "And I have you back. Ending my year on the right note, if I do say so myself."