Chapter 17-Coat Check For Two

"May I ask why we always get roped into going to these stupid dinner parties?" I complain to my mother.

"Because we are part of this community and it seems bad if we don't show up. Also, it's the tenth anniversary of this event." my mother says while flipping through the clothes in front of her.

I fall back on my parent's bed and stare up at the ceiling.

"I still don't understand why I'm obligated to go too." I whine.

"Because you are part of this family and because I am the boss, not you."

I roll my eyes and get off her bed, "I'm going to my room."

"So help me God, if I see you asleep on the bed I will throw you out the window." I hear her say.

"What else could I do?"

"Go pick something to wear and I want to see it laid out on your bed." she replies.

I'm almost out of the room when I her say that, I want to bang my head against the door frame after hearing her.

"Sure thing." I reply.

I hate my life.

***

After a good thirty minutes of flipping back and forth through my wardrobe, I settled on a blush lace formal romper with some black suede lace up heels which I paired off with a quilted black Gucci clutch my grandfather once gave me. This is as good as it will get, whether my mom likes it or not.

     I walk out of my room and into Morgan's which is right across from mine

I walk out of my room and into Morgan's which is right across from mine. I quietly open the door to see her laying out a simple sweater and jeans.

"What did you just lay out?" I ask.

I enter the room without asking for permission to figure out what is wrong with my sister's head.

"I chose what to wear for the dinner party."

"That's what you always wear when we go out to buy groceries or something. Mom will strangle you if she sees you in that." I chuckle to myself.

I place my hand on my sister's shoulder for reassurance "I'll help you."

I spin on my heels and look at what I've got to work with.

I see a lilac blouse and a black skirt that would look great together. I quickly pull them out and show them to Morgan, who just shrugs.

"That's good, I guess."

"Well I guess my work here is done." I start to walk out of her room, but then stop to hear her mumble.

"Not like you did something so life changing."

Ugh, little sisters!

***
"Peyton, we are leaving in twenty minutes!" yells my father from my parents' room.

"Okay" I yell back.

I slip on my lacey romper over my hips and pull it over my upper half. I carefully zip myself in the outfit and walk over to grab my shoes. I sit on my bedroom bench and lean over to place my feet in the shoes I had picked out. I quickly wrap the velvety laces around my ankles and set off to my vanity.

Usually I don't wear make up, however tonight is an exception. I opened one of the drawers and took out a small makeup bag. I place a little palette on the table to apply some light blush-pink eye shadow to my eyelids. I pull out my mascara, I turn it to open it and brush the wand over my dark eyelashes, making them look longer and more prominent. Lastly, I pick out one of my lipsticks. I pull the cap off and pucker up in front of the mirror to cover my lips with a nude-pink color.

I straighten up and give myself a once over in the mirror. I was proud of my work, so I got up, took my purse and headed out the door, closing the light on the way.

***

I step out of the car and hold it open for my sister. We make our way to the entrance, I stand in front of a huge building the size of all the houses on my block together. The great big cherrywood doors open for us and the others that have just arrived. I walk through them to see a great big crystal chandelier sparkling every time the light would hit it. The room was filled with elegant paintings and elaborate chairs and fainting couches to rest on. People were filing in and out of this great big room into others to greet their friends.

I had to get out of this room, so I turned to my parents and said "I'll take the jackets to the coat check, while you guys go and say hi to everyone." I grab all of our jackets and squeeze my way through the people to get to the coat check, whereever that was.

I wonder around the first floor, until I finally spot the coat check. Standing there is Asher, with his face in his hands, already bored and tired of standing there. His crisp ivory dress shirt is buttoned up to the second last button on top, his sleeves are rolled up. His suit jacket is thrown across a chair while he waits impatiently for someone to give him their jacket.

I walk towards him and drop all the jackets onto the counter. "Hi Brooks. Nice to see you all cleaned up."

"Well, hello Westscott and might I say you look just as beautiful as you normally do?" he smiles.

"Uhmmm." I reply "You going to unlock the door? Or do I have to come through the window?"

"As much as I'd like to see you crash and burn trying to enter through the window, I don't want you falling on your face." he walks over to the door and swings it open.

"Thanks." I say while stepping into the quaint room filled with clothes hangers.

I grab the jackets and start putting them on hangers. I pull off one of the tickets from each hook and place them into my purse to use for later.

"So how long have you been here?" I ask while I put the hanged jackets on the bar.

"I don't know; about thirty minutes." he replies as he checks his watch.

"And how have you been surviving without my company." I smirk jokingly.

"I don't know, I actually feel very faint." he places a hand on his forehead and uses his other arm to wrap it around my waist so we are glued to one another "Maybe a kiss from a certain someone will help."

He puckers up and leans forward. Oh no! Not a chance! I lift one of my arms and smash my palm to his lips.

"There's your kiss. You feel better? Now let go of me!" I swat his hands away and place my forearms on the counter while I wait.

He comes next to me and bends over to lean on the counter as well.

"What will be doing for the next hour and fifteen minutes until we could go and eat?"

"Hanging jackets, genius." I say, laughing "What else could be possibly do?"

"Give me a sec" he whips out his phone and quickly taps away.

What's he up to?

***

Hi guys!
It's been a while and I kind of gave up trying to write something for a while.
oops 😬🤫
But I hope you enjoyed the chapter; if so, please comment and/or vote.
Until next time, ta-ta for now!
xoxo