22: The Slow Burn

*

      TAYA's POV:

"You guys go ahead, I'm fine," Judah said as we finally reached his house. He could barely keep his eyes open and Jesse had to help drag him inside.

"He doesn't look fine," Hallee whispered to me as Jesse let him down on the bed. Judah groaned in pain as he put his arm over his face and laid flat on his stomach.

"I got this," I whispered back to Hallee. "I'll stay with him,"

Hallee nodded and pulled Jesse to the side. Meanwhile, Judah was still shivering, but he kept mumbling that he was all right. I could tell he was trying to put up a fight. He didn't want to look weak and or ask for help. Still, I couldn't possibly leave him at home, all alone, in this state—no way in hell.

"Call us if you need anything," Hallee said to me again and I nodded.

"You should... go with them, I'll be fine," Judah whined as Hallee and Jesse walked out the door.

"I told you I'm not going anywhere," I replied, making my way over to him.

I bent down on the side of the bed so I was on eye-level with him. He turned to me and gave me a weak smile.

"You know, you don't have to do this for me?" he croaked.

"I know that. But I want to," I smiled back and my hand instinctively went to tuck away the strands of hair on his forehead. He looked at me intently as I stroke hi hair, his eyebrows furrowed as if he was thinking of something super serious.

"Why are you so nice to me, Blondie? Why'd you care so much?" he said with a pained smile on his face.

Why would he even ask me that? Was it so hard for him to believe that someone would care about him, just because?

"I don't know why... I just do," I shrugged.

He took in what I just said and he just stared at me with an expression I couldn't read. Slowly, his hand then reached up and he held mine in place. His hand was cold, and I tried my hardest not to flinch at the contact.

We stayed like that for the longest time. Nobody said anything else, and there was this feeling of peace in the midst of the quietness. Soon enough, Judah eyes fluttered shut. He looked so tired as he drifted into sleep. I watched as his chest rise and fall with every breath he took. My hand was still holding onto his and I laid my head down next to him. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of his breathing slowing down, somehow wishing we could lay like this forever.

But forever had to end sometime.

"Judah! Open up!" suddenly I heard a loud pounding at the door and I jerked up instantly.

I looked over to Judah who was still asleep. Slowly, I peeled my hand from his grip and made my way towards the front door.

"You never showed up last night! I know you're in there! Open the damn door, Judah!" the voice called out again.

"Can I help you?" I cracked the door open and there stood a familiar looking girl.

Her ginger hair was messy and tangled up. She was wearing a cropped top and tight leather pants, revealing the belly ring and tattoos on her ribcage and arm. A cigarette was stuck between her middle and forefinger.

This must be Ava.

"Who are you?" she eyed me suspiciously. "And where's Judah?"

She was eyeing me from head to toe and she cocked her head to the side. The look on her face was nothing but friendly, it was intimidating, as if she was trying to challenge me or something.