Chapter 14 -- Too Many Farewells

Aquarius floated in the sea, draping her eyes with a blue silk handkerchief. "How dare you!"

"Oh, come on, Lady Aquarius!" Lyra steered the boat closer to Aquarius. As they reached her, Lyra chirped, "It's not like we'll never meet. As long as there is water, we can still perform our duet together. Which mean, we can even sing when Lucy is showering. How exciting!" 

"No way! This is an act of harassment!" Lucy squeaked and hugged herself protectively. 

She wished she hadn't made a sound, as Aquarius was now glaring at her. However, Lucy's agitated mood soon morphed into one of sympathy, as she saw Aquarius cry. Aquarius didn't look as intimidating as usual now. From where the tears dropped, oysters grew. Their lips yawned open, showing off the promising pearls. Aquarius grabbed the biggest one, about the size of an adult palm, and reluctantly threw it at Lucy. The Light Mage seized it clumsily.

"Filthy human, squash this pearl when you're in dire danger. It's not like I want to help you out, but I don't want Lyra to be sad if you die. You seem capable of that." Aquarius smirked nastily. Then, suddenly, her face became fierce. "And remember, don't you dare lose Lyra's Key!"

"I-- I won't." Lucy almost wanted to ask Aquarius to join her crew but thought better of it.

Aquarius swayed her hands, and a strong tidal of wave washed the boat away. "Now, begone!"

"She never stops doing that!" Lyra's voice trailed away as they were being splashed to shore.

Lucy summoned Mr. Mohawk to bring them back to Magnolia Town. When they arrived at the building of Lucy's apartment, only the lights of a few units were lit up. Lucy caught Natsu's brown eyes slowly resting onto hers. Some words almost escaped the tip of Natsu's tongue, but as he caught the mischievous glint in Gray's eyes, he swallowed his words. Lucy diverted her gaze and turned to shake Happy's paws, which made the entire situation even more awkward. Lyra was more upfront than Natsu. She threw herself directly at Gray, mumbling something like she'd see him in her dreams. After several goodbyes, the boys parted with the girls. 

When Lucy and Lyra boarded the elevator up to her apartment on the eleventh floor, Lyra got excited and she pressed all the twenty-eight buttons. Before Lucy could undo the damage, the cubicle stopped on the fifth floor. An old woman with hair like cauliflower walked in with a bag of groceries, probably just finished doing her midnight shopping. Her aura was plain, implying that she was a Commoner. Lyra hissed immediately at her presence.

"Which floor would you like me to escort you to, old woman?" The sea serpent faked a bow.

Lucy's jaw licked the cubicle's floor. Lyra had actually addressed that old woman as an old woman.

The old woman glared at Lyra as if she was someone from a low caste, though Lyra's white gown looked a hundred times more decent than her yellow pajamas with many Tweety Birds on it.

"Ahh, maybe she has some hearing problems, Lucy. We should help her." Lyra cupped her mouth and shouted, "I REPEAT, WHICH FLOOR, you who have vegetable growing out of your hair!" As the old woman replied her with a silent, horrid look, Lyra pressed the button with the numeric one on it. Shrugging her shoulders, she said, "We have got no choice but to bring her to the security guard then. I smell something fishy about her. I'm sure she's up to no good."

Lucy stood as still as she could, trying to pretend that she was just a character from a poster. She wanted to reprimand Lyra for her rudeness, but she didn't want to irk her. Lyra was the strongest Stellar Spirit she had now. When Lucy was bickering with herself about the should and should-not, the elevator ding and the doors opened. Lucy walked out with a groan.