The Greatest Gift

Today, Pandora was feeling bluer than ever, the first support group on Saturday was supposed to leave her excited until the next, but somehow, she felt even more tired to even do the simplest things. Even when it was Spanish, her favorite class, she didn't even lift her head up from her desk to look at the explanation on the whiteboard, and Señora Sanchez's explanation only went inside her right ear before exiting through her left ear.

At school, Pandora was glad to have Lena as company. They didn't talk that much, and fortunately too, because her mouth felt like it was sealed shut. Thankfully, Lena wasn't the type of person who liked to ask too many questions, so when Pandora was behaving more quiet than usual, she didn't really mind.

The only activity that she was actually looking forward to having was break time, where she could her lunch without thinking of anything else. When the final bell rang, Pandora was more than happy to pack her bags and leave school to go home. Ah, finally, she sighed in relief, home at last.

On the bus ride home, as she rested her elbow on the window frame of the bus, and placed her head on her hand, Pandora tried to think of what she should be doing once she arrived. Change my clothes, have lunch, do my homework, and sleep? she thought. Or just do nothing and play my phone or read a book. Pandora nodded in agreement; the second option seemed to suit her mood better today.

Pandora was a generally active and productive person; she couldn't stand having a weekend without her doing some kind of physical activity like going to the library or even cleaning her room. To her, if she spent her whole day doing nothing, she'd feel like trash afterwards. But right now, she didn't mind feeling like trash.

The school bus stopped at a street about five hundred meters from her house, where the bus stop was. She sighed as her foot touched the concrete and heard the bus doors closed behind her and continued on its trip. "Come on, legs, lets go." Pandora muttered before she walked through the small street that led to her home.

She walked in a straight line past the garbage dumpsters that usually smelled like piss and rotten food. Sometimes, thin and malnourished stray cats would wander around that alleyway as well and hiss at her before she could calm them down by offering some food. But that's okay. Pandora consoled herself, At least I have a better life than most people in those third-rate countries.

She took a right turn and walked about fifty meters before entering the door of an old building that seemed to be hidden amidst a pile of graffiti, dust, and rust. That was the entrance to her and her adoptive mom's flat, the place where she would find solace every time there was a storm.

CREAK. The iron door sounded when she opened it. There was no one there on the ground floor where there were mailboxes for every inhabitant. Pandora walked over to her mailbox and looked inside to see if there was something, but there wasn't anything. While adjusting the position of her backpack, she pressed the UP button on the elevator before the doors opened with a "ding!" and stepped inside.

"She told me that she loved me by the water fountain." Pandora sang to herself a song her friend Connie made her listen the other day. She looked at which floor she was passing now, the third floor---she lived on the ninth. Impatiently, Pandora tapped her foot against the ground, this elevator trip was taking longer than usual.

DING! the elevator doors opened, and she was greeted by the familiar sight of her hallway. Bare, white walls that had doors leading to other people's living spaces, and a small window at each end of the hallway that was rather foggy for unknown reasons. For some people, the sight would probably look like a hallway of an abandoned hospital or asylum, but Pandora was okay with it.

Pandora knocked thrice on the door with the number nine hundred and nineteen. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK! "Mom, I'm home." she said trying to sound upbeat. There were a few seconds of silence before there was a sound of someone getting out of their seat and walking towards the door. "Coming, dear." a voice replied.