Zach II

Erin refused to speak, but he convinced her to at least write down what happened. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy with Sierra. Erin didn't want to go to dinner, so he said he'd order something and then bring it back for her.

Then he got her texts.

Erin 😜 now
Is there medicine

Erin 😜 now
I threw up

Erin 😜 1m ago
Zach

He stood up, chair screeching against the ground as he clutched his phone tighter. "G-Guys... I- I need to go. Just pack up the stuff I ordered."

And then he was running again.

He pushed open the door to the hotel room. It was completely dark. "Erin?"

A groan came from the couch. "...Hey."

He crouched down next to her and put a hand on her forehead. "Do you have a fever? Are you sick? Do you feel hot?"

A lazy smile came over her face. "I'm always hot."

He sighed and took his hand down. "...You're fine."

"Seriously though, I feel awful. I threw up because I accidentally swallowed salt water, which I had tried to gargle because my throat hurts, although my stomach hurts too, but I think that's just because I cried my eyes out-"

He put up a hand to stop her from continuing her run-on sentence. "I know she was really harsh, and she had no right to say those things about your past, but you shouldn't give her your time. The soulmate system is fu-" Erin gave him a disapproving look. "-messed up."

"I don't know if it's actually about soulmates," she mused. "Maybe it's just for someone of significance to you, but we all thought it was about soulmates." She stopped for a moment, staring at something that only she could see... unless she was actually just admiring the ceiling, despite its plainness.

"Erin?"

She blinked and her irises slowly moved to him. "Yes?"

"Penny for your thoughts?"

She poked his cheek. "If you weren't my friend, I would charge you a lot more to look inside this genius's head."

"Haha," he rolled his eyes. "Seriously though, what are you thinking?"

"I was thinking about the stars, and how insignificant we are." Then her eyes left his.

She never voiced her doubts. When she was actually afraid, she wouldn't say anything. She closed herself off. He had seen her on those nights when she sat by herself, cold and alone, whispering one phrase to herself over and over again.

"Hey," he put his hand on her cheek, "Look at me."

For once, she didn't complain about his cold hands. Erin just stared at him.

"It's okay."

She nodded.

"Everything is okay."

"Zach?"

He dropped his hand. "What is it?"

"I want to see the stars."