Chapter One: The Beginning

Shouto opened the window to his bedroom and climbed through, (Y/n) slinking in closely behind. The teen with the two-colored hair let out a sigh as he pulled his mask off. (Y/n) shut the window behind him and pulled his mask to the top of his head, but not entirely off yet. He had an uneasy feeling, as if they had forgotten something important. He looked at Shouto's back, thinking he would find his answer there when it hit him. I'm wearing white, shit. And so is he...

"Shouto," (Y/n) called in a whisper, "we need to throw these clothes out and shower."

"What?" Shouto whispered back, not quite catching the words due to his cousin's hushed tone.

"We need to get rid of our clothes and shower," (Y/n) sniffed himself and grumbled under his breath, "we can't get the blood out, it dried. Also, we reek of human intestines and blood."

Shouto smelled his arm before sighing again, "Yeah. S' good thing I have a shower in my room. Using the one in the hallway at this hour would be a nightmare."

"I know," (Y/n) finally pulled his mask all the way off, "uncle Todoroki would totally catch us if we did that."

"Hmm," Shouto hummed, "that reminds me, did you lock the door to your bedroom before we left?"

"Uh... Yes..?" (Y/n) lied, worry filling his eyes like large, (e/c) bowls.

"You stupid airhead!" Shouto whisper-shouted, "what if we get caught because of that?!"

"I'm sorry! I was going to but *Yumi stopped and ended up talking to me for a few minutes while I was doing it," (Y/n) sighed, "I stopped so that I wouldn't look suspicious."

"Fine," Shouto mumbled, "but for heaven's sake, please be more careful about that..." 

"I will," (Y/n) promised, "but seriously, we need to wash up and get into bed."

"Ah, fancy seeing you two here," a ghoul with no mask commented, looking at the pair in front of him, "I haven't seen you two all summer."

That wasn't exactly true. The former students of Kunugigoaka Junior High who happened to be in the lowest class had hung out plenty during the summer. Of course, the two 'SS Ranked' ghouls knew exactly what their former classmate and acquaintance was talking about. They had seen each other with the others— made eye contact while playing their roles— but they hadn't seen each other like this. It had been a while since they crossed paths as night-lurking ghouls who didn't know where they stood with each other.

It had been too long, and you needed to keep in touch in order to maintain relationships with others of your kind. It was important to know what they were up to. Had they eaten recently, have they become allies to other ghouls, were they planning to claim a new territory– abandon their own? Knowing these things was important because there was no official hierarchy for ghouls. Sure, the weak stayed clear of the strong, but there was no exclusive ghoul government. What there was, though, was food.

Who you ate, when you did it, where you did it— these things were especially important. Primarily if you were attempting to stay on the good side of a binge eater like the one in front of them. There was no telling what someone like him was capable of— predominantly him. He was the most unique ghoul they had heard of, and no one truly knew how strong he was. He had unique kagune, was a binge eater, he didn't kill, and he'd never truly gone against the CCG for real. All of these things made him dangerous.

"Yeah," the ghoul in the mostly black mask agreed, "not in person, at least."

"That's onesided and you know it, Crimson Raven," the maskless ghoul commented, "unlike you two, I'm doing a good job at staying off the television."