Chapter Nine: Quicker, Safer, Sectretive

Physical education was in full swing. The gym was hot and stuffy and (Y/n) was beginning to find it hard to breathe. He wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, but he knew that he and Todoroki had screwed up, royally. They were going to starve now that their father knew they had to nerve to sneak out. He'll put locks on our windows from the outside, have people watch outside, we won't be able to leave-

He knew that he should be grateful to Todoroki for biting the bullet when he froze, but he was too worried about what to do now. They weren't the only ones who were in danger now. Their mothers were going to starve to death now that they wouldn't be able to get them food. What are we going to do?

"Shouto, I think we should tell Shiota and Akabane what happened last night," (Y/n) stated, glancing at the two from across the room. 

"What?" Todoroki looked at him like he was crazy. "you want to tell them that our father is a dove, and that we basically got caught?"

"I mean... what else is there to do? They could help us." (Y/n) stood his ground, stopping his jogging to glare at his cousin slightly. Adrenaline hadn't stopped pumping through either of their veins since the night before.

"You're a fucking dumbass," Todoroki said with a frown.

"You sound like that blond kid from class three," (Y/n) responded.

Todoroki sighed. "I wouldn't have to if you would get your head out of your ass."

"What?" (Y/n)'s eyes flared with a warning.

"You heard me." Todoroki stepped closer. "things aren't safe anymore. Yamaguchi died and disappeared, the crows are involved, Kaminari could still rat out Itona, and now our father, a dove, is suspicious of us—not to mention that Tsukishima isn't stupid. He's keeping quiet, but who knows who else he actually knows about?"

(Y/n) let the words sink in, willing himself to calm before he made a mistake that could ruin things further. Todoroki seemed to do the same as they started to jog again, not wanting their coach to pay them any mind. (Y/n) was silent for the remainder of their laps, then he came to a decision.

"I still think we should tell them-" he held his hand up to tell Todoroki to hear him out- "they could help us, like, really help us. They could show us to hunt less obviously. They might even just show us in order to save their own skin some."

Todoroki didn't agree still, but let (Y/n) do as he pleased. If things went wrong, it wasn't his fault, and if they went great, he allowed it to happen. There wasn't any negative blame on him.

(Y/n) waved them over. As they approached, he noticed that Todoroki still looked unsure.

"What's up?" Karma asked, half glaring at them.

"We got... caught. Last night," (Y/n) uttered. "by Shouto's father. We think he's on to us."

"On to you? What does that even mean?" Nagisa questioned, obviously unimpressed with the vagueness of the statement.

"He... he's..." (Y/n) took a deep breath, preparing for the reaction of the two ghouls in front of them. "Shouto's father is a dove."

Both Nagisa's and Karma's expressions went dark. Neither looked at (Y/n) or Todoroki, preferring to glare daggers into the ground. They couldn't believe what they were hearing. It made them sick, to think that they were becoming close with those who are parented by a dove- a CCG member. 

A realization hit Karma like a truck, and when he did look up at (Y/n) and Todoroki, he sneered. Nagisa seemed to the same as he did a few seconds later, remembering a news report he'd seen.