Chapter Five: Deep Trouble

"Hey, Shouto," (Y/n) mumbled, "when do you think Shiota and Akabane are going out again?"

"Probably in a few weeks," Shouto sighed.

"What do we do in the meantime?" (Y/n) wondered aloud.

"Nothing," Shouto deadpanned, "after what happened at school today, we need to just stay out of everyone's business."

"We didn't even do anything," (Y/n) grumbled.

"Exactly, (Y/n). Let's keep it that way," Shouto responded.

The teens went silent again, lounging in Shouto's bedroom. Enji Todoroki hadn't come home yet, and no was looking forward to the moment he stepped through the door. It didn't matter how late it got, as soon as he walked through the door, it was down to the basement for them.

Fuyumi was (luckily for her) the only one who wasn't one-hundred percent sure what went on in the basement. She'd never had to go through it. Enji was nice enough to let his only daughter not go through the training. His sons and nephew, however, hadn't been so fortunate.

There were times when Enji didn't feel like training them, but those occasions were rare. (Y/n) and Shouto could almost tell they were going to happen even less often now that they had missed a night. Tonights gonna be fun...

"Are you sure you don't just wanna walk with me?" Nishinoya asked again, trying to get his underclassman to go with him. "It's safer that way, and Yamaguchi might be a while."

"I'm walking by myself," Tsukishima sighed, "just start walking already, it's getting dark."

Nishinoya gave his underclassman an unsure look before turning to head home. He was considering just forcing the kid, but that probably wouldn't work. The best the short second-year could manage was a loud "Stay safe!" as he made his way home.

After he was out of sight, Tsukishima began to walk himself. Yamaguchi would be outside the gym soon and would catch up to him, surely. The area should be okay. There weren't many ghoul attacks, and what were the chances that he'd get hurt, anyway?

Yamaguchi traveled silently, mostly through alleyways. He felt as if his stomach was caving in at this point. Ghouls didn't need to eat as often as humans, but the freckled teen knew he was pushing it. If he were to get seriously injured, his body would have a load of trouble regenerating.

When he picked up on the scent of blood not far from him, Yamaguchi's eyes turned immediately. The thin teen made his way around a corner and into another alley, becoming alarmed at the sight in front of him.

 ┈

"Well, this isn't good..." Isogai stated sheepishly, backing up a bit.

The large ghoul in front of him was terrifying, to say the least — especially since Isogai had already seen how strong and able he was normally. The smaller of the two regretted choosing this particular alleyway greatly. He didn't exactly stand much of a chance if the painful, bloody, gaping hole where his liver should be was anything to go by.

"You really haven't changed much," the older ghoul taunted, "it's a shame, really."

Things were starting to go dark. Isogai's vision was getting cloudy. This was what he got for not wanting to eat humans, though. In a world where that was the only way to sustain himself, not doing so would obviously carry its consequences at some point. Perhaps, maybe, getting killed by one of the only men he truly despised was Yuuma Isogai's punishment.

I had a good run while it lasted...

The last thing he saw before blacking out was splattering blood and a tall figure blocking his view of Pops, the older ghoul. Isogai wasn't sure what he'd just seen due to his mind's muddled state, but if whatever it was kept him alive, he'd have to thank the person in front of him.