Chapter Four: Crows Group

"Tsukki! We're going to be late for volleyball!" Yamaguchi whined, trying to get his friends to leave his seat. The bell had rung five minutes ago, but Tsukishima insisted on staying. "Daichi will be angry at us..."

"I don't care, and I feel like something important is going to happen," Tsukishima stated again, causing Yamaguchi to give up.

"Fine..." Yamaguchi sighed and stayed in his seat. 

He wasn't lying before, exactly. He didn't want Daichi to get mad at them for being late on their second week of being on the team. That said, there was another reason he wanted to leave. As more and more people stopped hanging around, the ratio of ghoul to human in the room was starting to shift. All the humans were leaving, but the ghouls were staying for some reason.  

He wondered if that had anything to do with Tsukishima's strange feeling. Surely his friend couldn't sense ghouls, so perhaps whatever might happen only involved ghouls by coincidence. He hopes that was what it was, at least. It'd be a huge slap in the face for Tsukishima to actually be able to tell who was and wasn't human all this time. That would mean that he knew about all the ghouls in their classes—and if not that then there was no chance he didn't know about Yamaguchi.

These thoughts made Yamaguchi even more nervous when suddenly he tensed even more. A ghoul walked in the room, but he wasn't super familiar with this one. It occurred to him very quickly that this was one of the ghouls he bumped into in the hall the day he joined the volleyball team. He had no idea why they were here, though. There was no way he wanted to see Yamaguchi—he shouldn't know what class he was in, anyway.

The look that came over the redhead's face was quick, but it showed all the caution he wanted to present. You see, another reason Yamaguchi was nervous was that this ghoul, who he remembered to be called Kirishima, wasn't actually the first ghoul to join the room after the final bell. His manager in training, Yachi Hitoka, and the rather threatening Akabane Karma had joined in too, and he knew that they were ghouls. (Yamaguchi and Yachi hadn't addressed what that meant for them or the other ghouls on the volleyball team, but it would happen sooner or later.)

There was this strange air, and for several moments it was as if the ghouls were the only ones in the room. Yamaguchi could practically feel Karma, Nagisa, and Itona threatening Kirishima. He wondered if he and Yachi were supposed to be here for this.

Yamaguchi snapped out of his trance and looked over at Tsukishima. His best friend had no idea what was going on, he didn't understand a thing. Yamaguchi would have to ask Nagisa about it later (he only really felt comfortable around Nagisa; Karma was too threatening and Itona just seemed like someone he should stay away from). Tsukishima sighed and began to leave, Yamaguchi following his actions by reflex. Yachi realized they were leaving and decided to follow.

"That was a whole lot of nothing," Tsukishima grumbled and continued his long strides towards the volleyball gym. Yamaguchi, meanwhile, hung back and kept a slower pace with Yachi. It suddenly occurred to him that Yachi might know something.

"Hey, Yachi?" Yamaguchi called her name, gaining her attention, "what was that?"

Yachi looked up at him, almost surprised he didn't know what the deal was. "You seriously don't know?"

"Tsukki said something important was going to happen, but he didn't understand what just went on;" Yamaguchi paused for a breath, "frankly, neither do I, really."

"Akabane 'arranged' that," Yachi said under her breath, "he didn't tell me the whole story, but apparently it was to ensure our safety."

"Oh God," Yamaguchi quieted down further as his tone became nervous, "has there already been a... you know... fight or something?"