Chapter 12

*Clove's POV*

When I step onto the ladder in Cato's arms, I am instantly frozen. I move upwards away from the arena, leaving the past behind me. When we finally reach the hovercraft, the gravitational pulls stops, and I fall to the floor. I am taken from Cato's arms and led to a small room. Cato yells at the people outside of the room when they grab him. I try to break free, when I am knocked out.

I wake up restrained to a small bed. The wall opens, and an avox walks in with some food on a tray. Just some soup and an apple. I'd expect my homecoming meal to be better, but oh well. I eat the food. When I am finished, I lay down and take a short nap.

When I wake up, the restraint is gone. My body is flawless, too. All my wounds from the games vanished. My skin is glowing and my hair is as soft as silk. I get up to look for the door when the wall opens up. I walk through and find myself in a long narrow hallway. Then, at the end of the hallway, I see Enobaria and Jinx. I smile and run over to them.

"Good job Clove. I knew you could do it." Enobaria says.

"Where's Cato?" I ask.

"He's with Brutus and Tulip. They want you two to reunite on stage tonight." Jinx says. "Come! I must show you your outfit for tonight."

I follow Jinx to a room where my excited prep team awaits. I am dressed in a black dress with small jewels. It looked absolutely amazing. I also wear black flats. My hair is curled, creating beautiful waves down to my waist.

"What do you think?" Jinx asks.

"I think it's the best yet." I answer. Jinx smiles.

"I knew you would."

Tonight I have to watch the highlights of the games. I will have to just sit there, as everyone watches how I killed other children on live TV. Tonight will be broadcasted on every television in Panem, no doubt about it.

Jinx and I eat in a small dining room. We are served chicken and biscuits. The only thing I like about the capital is the food. It's amazing. When we are finished, two avoxes take our dishes and we are excused.

I spend the next two hours in a small room thinking about tonight. I am nervous, but excited at the same time. I would finally see Cato again. He's my only friend back in district 2, and now I get to keep him.

***

The show is beginning, and I'm a nervous wreck. I am standing on a platform underneath the stage, waiting to be pushed up. I hear Salia get announced, then the stylists and prep teams, and then the mentors. What am I gonna say? What am I gonna do? What if I mess up. I better come up with some good answers, because I feel the platform beginning rise beneath me.