Chapter 14: Cato's POV

I remembered how when we were in the hotel that the Capitol provided she had danced around like a fairy. I remembered how when we were younger I would walk her to her house even though it was so far away from mine, just to make sure she was safe, everyday. The pang in my chest that I felt when I heard her volunteer as a tribute. The strength that I felt when I took Jackson's place. the look on her face when Katniss shot her. Her name.

Clove.

Boom, went a cannon. I quickly woke up and sprung to my feet. Katniss was gone and a cannon just went off.

No, not Katniss too, if anyone was going to kill her it was going to be me.

But I couldn't actually bring myself to kill her, could I?

What the hell are you thinking Cato? You love her!

Someone screamed and I took off sprinting in the direction of the agony, dodging every root in the ground in silence. After maybe two minutes of running, I saw a young girl, I think her name was rue? She was laying down on the ground with an arrow in her leg, and a knife in her chest. About a foot next to her lay Thresh the other tribute from district eleven with a hunting trap slung around his leg along with an arrow in his lower stomach.

"Katniss?" I yelled.

This was it, We were the only two left.

"Katniss!" I repeated.

A twig snapped, making me jump and I turned around.

"Shh, you'll attract other tributes!" Katniss whispered.

"Katniss," I murmured.

"What?" She said looking confused.

"We're the last two tributes." I said lifelessly. Katniss made a face that looked like she was choking. she quickly picked up her bow and knocked it, raising it up at me.

"I'm sorry," She paused for a breath, "but Prim comes first." She whispered. I could see tears flood down her face, but her voice was steady and she never gasped for air. I raised my hands in front of my face and took to large steps closer to her. Her eyes flickered to my right. And I realized what she was trying to tell me, someone was there someone we didn't know was still alive.

"Lets not do anything hasty," I told her leaping behind the person I hadn't even seen yet and grasping my hands around her neck.

"Let's not do anything you'll regret!" She smirked.

One sharp movement and a cannon went off, but this time I knew whose it was.