I Battle an Old Lady

"I've got it," Annabeth told us, Percy take my hat. Kasey do you had yours with you?" I nodded, understanding dawning on me. It was a good plan.

The three of them argued quietly while I rummaged through me pack for my hat. I turned and jammed Annabeth's hat onto Percy's head and dragged him hurriedly up the corridor.

I glanced behind me and saw the ladies sniffing the air, trying to catch our scent. Percy kicked me to get me to keep going.

We made it to the front of the bus and my hand hovered over the emergency stop button, when a horrible shriek filled the air.

I whipped around, knocking Percy's hat off in the process. The three old ladies were gone and three Furies stood in their place. They had surrounded Annabeth and Grover.

"There he is!" one shrieked, pointing at Percy. He quickly shoved the hat back on with a panicked look.

"Where is it?" one asked, moving in our general direction. Behind them, Annabeth was holding her dagger and Grover hefted a tin can.

The muggles- no mortals, were screaming. I wasn't sure what they saw, but I was willing to bet that it wasn't good.

Without warning, the bus jerked sharply to the left and I toppled over. My hat flopped to the ground and I stuffed it in my pocket. They knew where I was now.

I had just regained my balance when we came to a sudden stop. I flew forwards and rammed into the window. The bus spun around and crashed into the trees, making it impossible for me to get up.

The bus driver and everyone else stampeded out the door. One man scoopede me up and carried me with him. I struggled until he set me down under a tree.

A terrible wail swept over the group and I realized that a Fury had followed me outside. I snapped my hairpin and it grew into a full size bow. Arrows appeared on my back and I pointed one at the Fury's heart.

She grinned evilly at me and spread her wings. I let the arrow fly and it nicked the tip of her wing. She howled and I cringed, readying another arrow.

She flew up, flying crazily so as not to give me a clear target and landed beside me.

"Kasey Jackson," she croaked. I dropped my bow and grabbed the dagger from my belt. I ducked under her outstretched claws and rolled behind a tree.

Diving to the right, I tried to stab her with my knife, but she grabbed my wrist with unnatural speed. She wasn't exactly what I called natural so I suppose it made sense.

"You have offended the gods," she hissed in my face. Let me tell you, spit flying in your face is bo less disgusting when it is a mad winged monster.

I kicked out desperately and she released my wrist. With a stroke of my knife, she turned to dust, scattering the moist ground below my feet.

"Kasey! Come on!" Annabeth yelled and I turned to see my friends sprinting away from the bus. I ran to catch up, grabbing my bow on the way.

"What's going-" I started, but my question was answered when a huge boom sounded from behind me.

The bus had exploded and with it all our supplies.