The Writing Bug

I'm a strange writer. Most authors can claim to have put hours upon hours into their work. They cite late nights thinking about what their characters would do and endless dedication as their route to success.

I'm not like that. Not with words, at least.

Maybe it's because I have songwriting to keep me busy. But I can only write once a month. Yes. I can only write on my period.

While most biological girls get moody, or horny, or snippy, or whatever on their periods, I get linguistic.

I end up writing the romance novel that's in the works right now, because the characters really speak to me. As in, it's a fanfiction of a TV show, so I can watch it and listen to the characters' voices and pretend they speak to me.

During that time, I am a genius. I sit down at the computer and beautifully adorned words flow from my fingers. In the shower and as I lay in bed at night, I plan beautiful scenes that take shape the next day. Flowery descriptions? Done. Tense, riveting, emotional scenes? Piece of cake.

I don't even have to think about it. I don't have to rack my brain for "what adjective can I use to describe a description?"--like I did in the previous paragraph. I just let the words flow, and spend the next three weeks wondering who this amazing author was.

But then, after a week, it slips away. And it's painful.

I can guess what you're thinking. Once a month, you have a week in which words flow from your fingers effortlessly? I can't even manage to write a decent essay for my English class!

I consider this to be a superpower. Think about it. It's an advantage over other humans that is beyond a person's control. But most superheroes have their superpowers at will, or all the time. Mine comes and goes, and every time, I have to watch it slip away. I feel myself starting to force a scene in my head, and I wonder, is there something wrong with me? Why can't I write anymore? Did I screw up the book?

So, it's not amazing to be able to do this. It's just a weird thing that I have. It means that I can write really amazing books, but they take forever to write because I have to wait three weeks inbetween writing sessions. 

During that time, it also makes it so that I can't write songs. So I have to watch the power of melody slip away as the power of words comes into play.

(I'm in a Power-of-Melody state right now. As you can tell from the way that this is written.)