Chapter 1

Being a high-school student was actually hectic and tiring. His rushing steps matched his heartbeats as he focused on arriving at the class as soon as he could.

A glance at his watch reassured him that there was still ten minutes left before the class started. But who knew, if Mrs. Jung was not in a good mood today, no matter how on time he got to the class, there would be some detention waiting for him.

Jinyoung panted and tried to catch his breath as his feet set in front of the class. No Mrs. Jung inside yet. He lingered there a little longer, trying to clam down his heart.

"As if he's so cool and we're not worth talking at all. Don't you see his gazes are frightening? In fact, he's far from that. Can't even speak a Korean word."

"I thought American students are talents and all. But seeing him...," the girl shook her head and went inside the class, with her friend in tow.

Jinyoung knew who they were talking about. No need to search for that person as well because the subject of everyone's gossips was sitting on the bench just at the end of the classroom corridor.

He looked so remote, Jinyoung thought, with the earphones on and closing his eyes, but not at all looking comfortable.

He was Mark Tuan, who had transferred to their school from America for this last year of high school. He had somehow made the impression that he could speak Korean very well on the first day. But later and till now, he had barely spoken anything at all, not even English.

Jinyoung turned his attention away and made his way to the class, going straight to his usual seat at the left corner.

Through the window, he chanced a glance at the new student who had no sign of entering the class.

This school was a kind of place where you would be picked on and bullied anytime, if you were not careful and smart enough.

Jinyoung was neither smart nor popular here. If anything, he could also be called a nerd. But good grades were also one thing that let him make some impression and get away from the bullies.

Mrs. Jung, who was a stout and short woman with the commanding air, walked into the class and the usual process began, rollcall and checking assignments.

Everything went on just as normal. Jinyoung wandered his eyes over to that bench outside the class again but there was no one there.

Jinyoung shifted on his seat and finally stood up, grabbing his lunchbox. But hesitating, he sat down again.

Mark Tuan's figure was slowly disappearing among other students and at last, determined, Jinyoung set forth in haste not to lose the sight of the American student, with his lunchbox tightly gripped in his hand.

Thankfully, Jinyoung could follow him all along the way, from afar and making sure he was not noticed.

Now he could grab the idea that they were going to the rooftop of the shcool building.

The sun was shining only faintly and it was still cool even though it was already noon.

Jinyoung was reluctant to follow further, stopping on the top of the stairs as the American student was now already seated, looking as indifferent as ever, on the long wooden bench, which was the only bench on the whole rooftop.

Jinyoung approached tentatively and without being invited, sat down next to him. That caught the American's attention and a frown was what welcomed Jinyoung.

"Hi," Jinyoung said, trying to sound as friendly as he could, "In case you don't recognise, I'm one of your classmates. Park Jinyoung. You're Mark Tuan, a new student, right? Nice to talk to you finally."

But no words came back and the new student turned his face away, ignoring Jinyoung's presence.

That was just what Jinyoung had expected. But he could try a little more.

"I just thought you might want some company. Being a new student in a new school must be hard. I guess you can't get used to this place yet?"

A hiss under the breath was heard but Jinyoung was not disheartened.

"You're not the only one. I also don't have many friends here. That evens us out, doesn't it? I know what others are talking about you. But you aren't nothing like that, I know."

Maybe he went a little too far as Mark Tuan grumbled, stood up to his feet and was ready to leave. But Jinyoung managed to catch his wrist to stop him.

The frown went deeper and Jinyoung fumbled for words.

"You don't need to leave. I'm going to, anyway. But you want to share lunch with me? How are you going to remain the whole afternoon, with nothing in your stomach?"

The American shook his hand free but still sat down, looking annoyed but at the same time, incredulous.

"I'm not disturbing you, I hope? Feel free to eat my lunch."

Jinyoung ate a spoonful amount of the rice and sausage, and handed the lunchbox to the person beside him. But it was neither rejected nor accepted.

"Aren't you hungry? You never goes to the canteen? Why? You don't like the food there? Or you don't want to be among the crowd? If it's the latter, I can relate. We're sort of similar. Won't you eat some now?"

Jinyoung nudged the lunchbox towards him again and this time, the whole body turned to him. Impatience and irritation all visible in the eyes.

The hand reached for the lunchbox and Jinyoung prayed it was not to shove it righ away. That was all he had got for lunch.

But to Jinyoung's relief, the lunchbox was taken and a spoonful amount of the food eaten. Jinyoung smiled but it did not last long, as with one irritated look, the American had already stood up and was right on his way to the stairs.

At least, he had eaten some, Jinyoung thought not without victory. Hopefully, he could be of some help for the new student to feel familiar with and fit into this society.