Chapter Three

Hi! I was going to do more with this chapter but I really wanted to upload it! Not my best chapter but I needed to introduce some key characters but you'll see it'll start making more sense soon!! Anyway thanks for reading! Vote, comment, fan, etc.

XOXOXO

Linz

--------------------------------Ultraviolet Chapter Three------------------------------------------------------

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.

--Leonardo Da Vinci

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Dmitri's Point of View*

Standing in front of a full length mirror I waited impatiently for the servants to finish fiddling with my outfit and hair. I was wearing a royal blue jacket with a double set of gold buttons inscribed with the royal seal, two white roses wrapped around a bloody dagger, running down my right side. The jacket had almost a turtle neck quality reaching halfway up my neck, and there was a gold sash over my left shoulder. Someone pinned a rose and dagger to my chest. My pants were black with a stripe of gold running down the sides.

I hated all of it.

Earlier this week my father had informed me that I was expected to attend a council dinner with him and his advisors. My cousins were invited too. I was nervous, my uncle had never extended the honor of attending a council meeting to me before, but that's all it was to me, an honor, there was no gesture of kindness behind it, I was willing to bet that he wanted something from me.

My cousins, Vasilisa and Ivan, and I never got along. They were my Uncle's son and daughter, my aunt is dead, sometimes I wonder how or why she died because, frankly, most of my family are a bunch of power crazy, cruel nuts. My uncle and cousins were no exception.

They say I am my mother's son, my dad died a few months after I was born from cancer. Most of my family never liked my mom, thought my father was crazy for marrying her, they say she is too outspoken, too different; my mom was the kindest person I knew, from all I remember she was always nice to those in need, and though she never said it out loud, I think she didn't like the way Grandfather and the rest of the family were running things. But under that soft heart was a core of steel, but then she disappeared. I refuse to believe that she is dead, but the rest of the family, well, I'm pretty sure they celebrated behind my back.

Too out spoken, they said.

Too strong, they said.

She was going to cause trouble, they said.

Good thing she disappeared before she could, they said.

I missed mom, but she was gone. After she disappeared Grandfather shipped me from Russia out to Pali, he sent a letter ahead of me to my uncle, who was going to be my new guardian. I can only imagine what that particular letter said--Dmitri is a disgrace to the family, disobedient, moody. Whip him back into shape, I'm worried...etc. etc.

My uncle was asked by my grandfather to rule over Pali, to keep order here, he accepted quickly and eagerly. Russia hasn't been anything but a monarchy for a very long time.

Well, now I live with Uncle Vladimir, and my cousins, it wasn't my ideal situation. I thought back to when I first showed up here three years ago, how Uncle looked down his nose at me, how Vasilisa pulled my hair saying, "Why is it so long? You look funny!" Then she tugged harder, almost causing me to cry out, she smiled at my grimace, that summer I had let it grow out to my shoulders, Uncle quickly put an end to that. But I also remembered how Ivan had sneered at me, and called me an unwanted disgrace, I punched him later for that, but he was bigger than me and pinned me down, pummeling me.

No me and my cousins didn't get along.

"Ouch!" I jumped away rubbing my arm, and glared over my shoulder at Vasilisa.

"What? Aren't you happy to see me?" Her mouth smiled, but her eyes told another story.

"No." She immediately dropped the smile.

"Fine, but the council starts in half an hour. I wouldn't want you to be late, you know." She flashed that disturbing smile again.

"What do you know?" I snapped, I was not in the mood for her games right now.

"Oh, nothing, and even if I did I wouldn't tell someone as mean as you."

"I'm not kidding Vasilisa!"

"What makes you think I know something?!"

"I don't, but what I do know is that you wouldn't come in here to remind me about the council meeting, just out of the kindness of your heart." She frowned at me.

"Fine. Maybe I do know something, but all I'm going to tell you is that you better pay attention and do what Father asks." She stretched out.

"I knew he wanted something from me." I muttered to myself. Vasilisa straightened up and narrowed her eyes at me.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing cousin, thank you for the friendly reminder, let me show you the door--"

"I know where the damn door is moron!" She turned on her heel and slammed the door behind her as she left the room.

I sighed, I couldn't seem to get rid of the foreboding feeling that this was not going to end well, not at all.

I mussed up my hair, much to the complaint of the servants and left to find the council room.