Chapter Seven

Hey! It's Linz! Hope you like the chapter, and feel free to point out any errors, comment, vote, fan...Gosh, I really have nothing to say so ummm Hope you like it, goodness I sound like a recording set on repeat...

xoxo

linz

p.s. The name Jacobe is pronounced Jah-cobe-ee, incase you didn't know. :P

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 

----------------------Chapter 7--------------------------------------------------------

Our faith in the present dies out long before our faith in the future.

--Ruth Benedict

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<Dmitri's POV>>

The training coliseum was large, extremely large. 

The ground changed depending on the training settings, right now it was a mixture of soil, dead leaves and various grasses and weeds. Somewhere somebody pushed a button and a wide array of fake trees and shrubbery appeared all around the training ground, even the walls and dome changed to a blue sky and mountain-esque background.

Looking around my senses immediately sharpened, for all intents and purposes the training ground was now a mountain, I ran my hand along the side of a tree feeling the rough bark on the pads of my fingers. As real as all of this sounded, smelled, looked, and felt it was all designed by the techies in the control room somewhere near this arena. Suddenly the sky darkened to a stormy gray, another button was pressed and the wind picked up as it started pouring rain causing visibility to diminish. I headed away from the trees, as far as I could get figuring the techies would want to throw a little lightning into the mix to spice things up.

The thing about the training arena is even though its all fake, everything in here is frighteningly real and consequently, deadly.

Somewhere above me and to my left a speaker crackled to life above the deafening roar of the ‘storm’. “Vasilisa, Dmitri,” whoever was speaking cleared his throat, “Lieutenant Watters wanted me to inform you that she is setting up an escape drill within which the two of you will have to get to the clearing in the center of the arena that has a small pond and bright red flowers ringing the perimeter. But you will have to do so in extreme storm conditions in a mountain-scape, with multiple hostiles trying to prevent your progress. They are idiosyncratic hostiles, if you are killed you are ‘out’ and you both will be timed. Begin with the first lightning strike.” I heard crackling again as the speakers shut off. I snorted at their use of the word idiosyncratic to indicate that the people that were trying to stop me would be the changelings on our side. Well, Lissa wasn’t going to win this one, I, too, have a few tricks up my sleeve.

The fine hair on my forearms raised without warning, shi--, not even able to finish that thought I dove out of the way as a bolt of lightning struck a tree right next to where I had been standing. I wonder if Uncle was in the control room with the techies, that would explain the lightning because it’s not like the techies don’t know where me and Vasilisa are at all times in the training coliseum. A twig cracked nearby.

Once again, I dove into the brush, and not a second too soon because a knife flew by where my torso just was and embedded itself into a tree. Dang it! I distracted myself again, get your head in the dang game, I silently cursed my stupidity. If I didn’t focus I was going to get myself seriously hurt, this was supposed to be realistic after all. Someone let out a low laugh to my right.