Changed

Darkness and death. Those are the two things that seem to consume me, slowly eating me alive. The thought of Jace dying was unimaginable. I knew that either Dillon or Jace would come to rescue me, but who that would be, I wasn’t sure. I walked down the cellar stairs, trying to find a way of escape. I knew shifting wouldn’t work because the door and walls were too thick and strong to knock down, even in wolf form. There weren’t any windows down here, so I couldn’t see anything. Part of me didn’t want to see what was down here.

         There was a musty smell lingering in the air that made me want to gag. I fought the urge as I paced around the cellar, trying not to think about Dillon or Jace. There were dried tears resting on my cheeks. My breathing was rapid and shallow. I just wanted the door to open so I could see who survived.

            If Jace was killed, who would take care of Rayna and Zack? I hoped Alia and Gavin would care for them. I missed my babies, and I couldn’t imagine what they were thinking about their mother just disappearing. All I wanted to do was hold them in my arms again. It’s funny how you can miss someone when you’ve only been gone about half a day.

            I was snapped out of my sorrow when I heard growling coming from outside. Since my werewolf hearing was spot on, I could hear from far away that there were several werewolves. Jace probably brought the whole pack, trying to find me. As much as I wanted him to save me, I knew unless he killed Dillon that he’d never leave me alone if I left. Dillon would just harass me until I turned myself back into him.

            “Izzy, are you there?” Jace mind linked me.  

            “Yes, but Jace, please leave. Dillon is going to kill you.” I replied.

            There was no response, but knowing Jace, he was ignoring me. Jace was the kind of person who would risk being killed in order to save me, even if in the long run he only ended up hurting me and everyone that needs him. I tried to contact him again, begging for him to leave, but he blocked me out.

            After minutes of listening to for a sign of anyone, the basement door finally opened. My back was facing away from the door; I was too scared that it would be Dillon standing in the doorway. Part of me knew that Jace couldn’t be dead or I would have felt our bond shatter, but then again, I didn’t know how fast that would be. For all I knew, he could be dead and the pain of the bond breaking could impact me at any second. I took in a deep breath when I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. From the sparks I felt, I knew it was Jace.

            I whirled around, to see him smiling at me. I wrapped my arms around his neck, never being any happier to see him. I slapped him across the face, pissed off at him that he didn’t listen to me and risked his life to save me. He stared at me in shock, but quickly regained himself.

            “You could have died.” I mumbled, holding back tears.

            “I couldn’t let that monster take you.” He responded, which caused me to break down into tears because what if he had died?

            “Shh, it’s alright. I’m here and alive.” He comforted, as he held me tightly against his chest, resting his chin on my head.