Chapter 26: Aebbé - Dismissal

"You will learn how much someone loved you, by how quickly they dismiss you." -  Shannon L. Alder  

I nurse Reynyn through the night. I try everything that I know, but his condition continues to worsen. I knew from the onset that all my attempts would be futile, but watching the elf pass further into the realm of death causes me to despair.

Just before daybreak Prince Eoghan, Ludel Strongwind and a few other elves return - despair also etched into their faces and defeated posture.

"Princess Aebbé, you must leave the tent now. Reynyn Floodfinder is approaching the end of his life. The end of life is a sacred moment that is not to be shared with those who are not of the blood of water and forest. Thank you for your compassion, Princess Aebbé. It is an exceptional quality to have," Prince Eoghan says as he gently places his hand on my shoulder. His pale eyes seem empty - as if he has already mourned his dying friend's life.

"I apologise for not being able to determine what happened to your friend."

"My people are in your debt, princess Ardam," Eoghan says softly.

With a defeated mood and an exhausted soul, I leave the tent. I am about to exit the Second Order's camp when Lord Caith calls my name. 

He is wearing a long-sleeved shirt with a high collar. I notice that he is walking with great difficulty. Now is not the time to attempt to satiate my curiosity, but a host of scenarios are dreamt up by my imagination. Perhaps he is only now starting to show injuries from the skirmish Reynyn was fatally wounded. Maybe he was robbed in the city last night. Or even more likely, he fell down some stairs - but I highly doubt this last one as Lord Caith had the grace of a cat and the balance of a bird.

"I apologise, but I couldn't do anything to save your comrade, but I did everything possible to make his way as comfortable as possible."

Lord Caith nods in sombre agreement.

Wishing to go wail and sleep in my room, I start to walk away.

"Princess Aebbé, do you not usually have training with Prince Eoghan at this time?"

I turn around and meet his eyes with an incredulous frown: "I cannot expect the prince to be my personal servant when he is standing at the deathbed of his friend."

"Do you have any objections against practising with me?"

I'm not sure I heard correctly.

"Don't you have to be there as well? Since Floodfinder is one of your Order and died in the execution of orders that you gave him."

"It does not concern me."

I should have someone asses my hearing: I'm not sure I heard correctly.

"It doesn't concern you? Of course, it does! You were clearly upset yesterday when I took that trinket out of Floodfinder's body."

He blanched: "Floodfinder was also my friend. Damn, I knew him for most of his life and he was a good man I could trust. But the death of elves is a private affair, especially for ones as young as Reynyn. They see death so sparingly that it would be unthinkable to intrude on them when they do. Death is the only secret they keep from even their lord."

This time I pale. Yes, my words were uncalled for, but I am still not satisfied with his answer. Something about it is a miss.

It is time to force an honest answer from him.

"You weren't injured yesterday. You didn't even have a scratch, and this morning you can barely walk."

His jaw tightened, and then he winced as if that in itself was hurting him.