Chapter 6

I woke up to someone knocking on the door. My eyes fluttered open and I jumped when I saw Mayley standing at the foot of her bed, her arms crossed. "Oh god," I moaned, putting my hand to my head.
"That's called a hangover," Mayley snapped. I was put off by her sudden attitude. "Yeah I know," I replied.
"Do you have anything you want to tell me?" She asked, quickly changing the subject.
"What? No." I answered.
"Really? Nothing."
"Nothing that I can remember." My mind was suddenly blank. I didn't remember a single detail about last night. All I remembered was that JT gave me a note saying to meet him in one of the bedrooms at 11:15. "Did I tell you that I met JT in private last night?" I gushed.
"No, because you never made it to meet him," she said. I looked at her confusedly. "What?"
"Well, you made it to the right room, just not with JT." Now she was scaring me. "Mayley, you're scaring me," I stammered. Suddenly, another memory came to my mind. "Wait, I remember Austin Winters telling me that he liked me," I recollected.
"You know," Mayley started. "I thought you were better than that."
"Mayley, just tell me what I did!" I shouted angrily. She told me how she and JT had planned our little rendezvous at her party. She told me that he had left the party on the verge of tears. "JT wouldn't cry," I said. Would he?
"I still don't know where I come into this," I said.
"God you're so stupid," Mayley snapped. Why was she so mad? "You hooked up with Austin in the same room you were meant to meet JT in and he fucking walked in." At that moment, I think I felt my stomach fall into Hell and all the color drain from my face. "No," I stuttered. "Is he.. Is he furious?" I think I knew her answer to that question. "I can't believe you cheated on him," she said, shaking her head and leaving the room a few seconds after.
I ripped the covers off me and quickly got dressed. "OH MY GOD!" I shouted. I couldn't believe what I had done. JT must've been crushed to pieces. I needed to talk to him.
I ran downstairs and caught Mayley in her kitchen. "Is JT at his house?" I asked frantically.
"Go look for yourself," she snorted, turning away for me. I couldn't deal with her at that moment so I rolled my eyes and ran to my car. I jumped in and started driving toward JT's house. He only lived about fifteen minutes from Mayley so I got to his house quickly. I pulled into his driveway and parked my car, sitting still for two minutes. I tried catching my breath but I couldn't. I was so nervous to see him and see how he'd react. I rang the door bell four times before someone answered the door.
It wasn't JT. It was some girl.
I knew I was at the right house, so I was confused. "Hi," I said. "Is JT here?"
"Yes," the girl said. She looked to be about nineteen with some similar features to JT. "You don't know who I am, do you?" She asked.
I shook my head in response. "I'm JT's sister, Kara."
Ohhhhhh. That made so much more sense. "Hi, I'm Shawn," I said.
"Yeah, I've heard a lot about you in the last twenty four hours," she replied. I frowned. "Yeah, I really messed up. Can I talk to him?"
"You can try," she said, letting me in.
I ran up to his bedroom and noticed the door was closed. I tried pushing it open but it was locked. "Who is it?" JT asked through the door.
"It's..uhm... it's Shawn," I stammered, my heart rate increasing dramatically. The door suddenly unlocked, but it didn't open. I pushed it open and saw JT sitting on his bed, looking out the window. "JT, let me explain. Please." I said, putting my hands on his.
"Explain what?" He suddenly snapped, pulling his hands away. "Explain how you hooked up with my best friend when you're with me? Explain how you made out with another boy where I told you to meet me?"
"I—," I started, before being interrupted.
"No, don't say anything. I know how you used to feel about Austin. Clearly, those feelings never went away."
"No, no, no. I don't like him anymore. I like you and only you. Please," I begged.
"Was this whole relationship a joke to you? Was getting with me just so you could practice for when you got with Austin? Do you even like me? Because from how it looks, I like you way more than you like me."
"JT, I'm so sorry. I was drunk and I didn't know what I was doing. It was an accident and the whole thing meant nothing to me."
JT turned away from me and walked toward the door. "I think you need to leave," he said, opening the door. No. No. I couldn't leave. Did I just ruin the best thing that had ever happened to me? "JT, please," I cried.
"Please. Just go," he said sadly. Just as I was about to walk out the door, I asked him one more question. "Are we still together?"
"I can't answer that right now." He was starting to cry. He never cried.
And then I left, sobbing.