Pain of Love

At some point, Antony left the bed. Ili laid there sad. He packed his bags and decided to leave to Hallerbo. He was causing too much pain to Antony.

He went down and saw Ahem waiting at the stairs.

"Stay atleast till the annual ball," said Ahem.

Ili sighed but nodded. He hugged Ahem tight.

"He loves me too. That's enough for me to live the rest of my life," said Ili.

"It shouldn't be," said Ahem, a sad smile on his face.

Cristian patted on his hair and led Ahem away.

-----------------

Antony was hesitant. Facing each other after such an encounter was so difficult. Not awkward, it was Ili after all.

But Antony also walked around with a content feeling. There were the marks he left on Ili. Also, Ili smelled like him even on the third day. His logical mind couldn't put an end to that contend feeling.

--------------------

Ili smiled as he set up the flowers for Ahem and Cristian's room. He wanted them to have a wonderful date. He himself had set up the whole date. Both were excited and trying hard to contain their excitement.

Antony watched as his parents hugged and dropped fond kisses on Ili's cheek and left.
Some of the other friends of Ili and France from school were there to be part of the fair. Antony did not like the way one of them was looking at Ili.

Santo is from another pack. He was eyeing Ili without trying to hide it.

"You know Santo asked Ili out yesterday. Ili refused," said France looking at Antony.

Antony looked away.

"Maybe he shouldn't have and maybe should have moved on with his life?" asked Antony.

"He smells like you brother," said France.

"My wolf lost control. It won't happen again," said Antony looking away.

"Brother, I know Ili. I have known him longer than you have known him, no offence. I know he will just waste away rather than find himself something to settle for. Hell, you are not able to do it. I don't know if you are that oblivious but Celeste do keep throwing herself at you. Especially she likes throwing it at Ili's face. Maybe you should get a grip on your life. And Ili, well, he has always waiting for you. I still remember his first call to me after he saw your picture in the album. He was so excited. He was a big admirer when we were kids and I used to tell stories. Then I saw it transform. I saw it change and evolve and I see him love you. I have the maturity to understand it and trust me anyone will have the common sense to not throw that away," said France nodding to Ili who was now talking to Santo. Antony could feel the discomfort off Ili even from this distance. If he looked objectively, he can see how good an option Santo is for Ili. But Ili didn't think so. That made him feel better somehow.

------------

Santo is a good friend. But Ili was uncomfortable with his advances. Ili was a person who has always known what he wants. And what he wants is probably upstairs, brooding into his blankets. He did not want anything more. He knew that the man loved him and that is enough.

Santo stretched his hand and tucked in Ili's hair. Ili took a step back.

"Sorry, Ili- I" started Santo.

"Please Santo. I have already told you I can't," said Ili.

"Okay, I understand. It's just, I always thought - had this fantasy that you would be my mate," said Santo truthfully.

Ili was surprised. He never realised.

"I know that is not the case now. Just, will you be my date to the fair ball. I ask nothing more," said Santo, resigned to the fact that he will never have Ili. He did like Ili a lot. And Ili's mate was not treating him well. He thought that maybe Ili would budge. But apparently, mate business is something beyond pettiness.

---------------

Antony looked away. He loves Ili and it is not a fact hidden from anyone. Everyone knew it too.

Ili was smiling at something Santo was saying and it was crushing him a bit. The Ilse fair is a festival of 41 days. It has been 10 days already. The ball where couples rejoice is ten days away.

But before that came the night of lights will happen. It is a specific night when all of Ilse celebrates with lamps and crackers. They also pray at the moon temple. Only mated or claimed wolves go to the moon temple. No unmated omega can go because Alpha's can stake claim on an omega on this night and challenge the mate of the bonding has not happened already.

He knew Ili will have to stay closed up inside his room that night. The chances of him being attacked are high since he is Antony's mate and a Mantini. The unmated Luna can invite all sort of enemies to challenge Antony.

-------------

Antony knew every Alpha would gift their mate something before the night of lights. They go to see the fair and main celebration with the gift on them.

He has not done anything for Ili. Nothing a mate would or should do. He decided to do something for Ili.

He went to meet Jana because of all his brothers, Jana would know his better. But then Jana has not been talking to him.

Magnus raised an eyebrow as Arth landed on him followed by Maxim when he entered the house followed by the triplets. He gave his gifts to his nephews and nieces and then Samuel and Clement who came down the stairs saw Antony going towards Magnus and Jana's room.

"Brave man, you are," snorted Samuel.

"Magnus Mantini however is scared," laughed Clement.

Antony looked at Magnus who just rolled his eyes and said "Try being at the other end of Jana's fury. Anyway he is here. I will be spared."

---------------