Prologue

The full moon broke through the leaves of the forest, casting slanting shadows onto the ground as a dappled she-cat with black paws wove through the shadows of the trees. Her light brown fur was matted, and her soft grey eyes were dull as she scanned the forest warily, her ears pricked. The sound of her paw steps were loud as stepped around trees and branches, her round belly swinging awkwardly as she padded into a small hollow by an oak tree. Dimly, she wondered how long she'd manage to have her kits without the help of a medicine cat. In SkyClan, BrightStorm had always helped with the Queens. Now, she was alone. Eyes bleary with weariness, the travelling she-cat hang her head and closed her eyes.

           There was nothing. The forest was eerily silent, the sounds coming only the occasional breeze that ruffled the leaves that accompanied her footsteps through the shadows. With a sigh, the cat settled to rest. Her tail curled around her as she fought to keep her gnawing hunger at bay.  Hunger, accompanied by the familiar pang of loneliness. 

            "Oh, StarClan," she murmured in despair. "Why do you cast me out alone?"

             There was no reply, though she hadn't expected there to be one. Only the Silverpelt stared down at her, their twinkling lights seeming to mock her from high above. She felt the scorn of StarClan like claws on her belly as she turned away in shame. 

            Once, StarClan had honoured her. Once, she had clanmates to hunt beside, and stars woven in her path. She mewed softly in despair.  Oh, how long ago it seemed, she thought. 

            The silence was a familiar companion to her now. Though, not for long. She glanced at her round belly and felt a strong tug of fierce devotion and longing. I must go on. If not for myself, then for my kits.

            She rested her head on her paws, tail flicking in worry before finally letting sleep draw her in. She would hunt tomorrow, she decided firmly as she felt the ache from the scratches on her legs and muzzle. Dimly, she was aware of the searing pain in her belly as her mind wandered through her memories. 

             Memories of chasing prey through the sun-dappled woods of  SkyClan, her mentor and clanmates by her side.

            Memories of her naming ceremony, and her walk to the MoonStone for her nine lives. Her pride as she looked down at her clan who yowled her name, their eyes shining to match hers.      

            Memories of the familiar scent of ShadowClan, a pair of soft, green eyes and a grey pelt that shone like stars underneath the moonlight. 

            Memories of a life that used to be hers.

            All of that was swept away as sleep took her. Until there was no more vibrant green colours, no more soft green eyes or moonlight. 

            Until there was only darkness, and the lost stars to keep her company.